OT: Old Silicon Graphics keyboards (Unixnerd question)

Hi folks,
I remember that a few guys here have a lot of knowledge about old Unix machines, so maybe someone can help me. I want a good quality keyboard
with a PS/2 plug, so that I can use it with a PC. That seems very hard to get today. Most keyboards feel crap to use. My favourite keyboard of all time is the Sun Type 5, however it sadly isn't PS/2. I could somehow hack and convert one, but I don't really have time.
I can get one of the old Hewlett Packard HP-UX keyboards, but I never liked them as much because the key springs were so stiff. I remember the IBM "Clicky" keyboard vaguely, but never used one a lot; I seem to remember that I still preferred the Sun. Anyway, I notice that some of the old Silicon Graphics keyboards are PS/2, and look very similar to the Sun Type 5. Anyone know if they feel the same (or were perhaps even made by the same company)?
Here's a picture (I know it's a QWERTZ keyboard, but that's what I need): http://www.ebay.de/itm/SGI-SP-Keyboard-Deutsch-062-0002-002-/350427696335?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item51971e4ccf
Thanks!
Chris

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/keyboards.html
--
Steve W.

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:29:56 -0800 (PST), Christopher Tidy

This is probably the closest you'll come in this day & age-
http://pckeyboard.com /
H.
On 01/31/2012 12:29 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote:

Some SGI keyboard info here.
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/20188/subcatid/0/id/330055
Comments include "A very fine, smooth touch alternate mechanical key switch keyboard that uses Alps mechanical switches (quieter than IBM buckling spring design and smoother than Dell alps keyswitches with nice precise tactile feel)."

http://www.ebay.de/itm/SGI-SP-Keyboard-Deutsch-062-0002-002-/350427696335?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item51971e4ccf
I never heard of a QWERTZ keyboard before. My clackety IBM has removable, swappable key caps. Some new Unicomps also have swappable key caps, and PS2 plugs. http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net / Can you reassign key functions if you swap the caps?

If it's NOT an x86 PC that it was originally connected to, chances are that it's NOT going to work on a PC. That connector was quite commonly used on a lot of non-PC machines, even terminals. So just because the keyboard's plug fits a PS/2 keyboard socket doesn't mean it's going to work. PC keyboards deliver a specific keycode(non- ASCII) to the plug when a key is pressed. Other types won't. If you want a really decent PC keyboard with the clicky keys, you can hunt around at the equipment recyclers, one company also still makes them but you'll probably have to search the interweb for them. I've gotten keyboards for as little as a buck at the recyclers, they're basically junk these days since most new machines use USB for keyboards and mice, no PS/2 ports at all. One place had pallets of them, was glad to see a few go out the door. Would be just ground up otherwise.
Stan
news:20ce6d7c-9de6-496b-a3b7- If it's NOT an x86 PC that it was originally connected to, chances are that it's NOT going to work on a PC. That connector was quite commonly used on a lot of non-PC machines, even terminals. So just because the keyboard's plug fits a PS/2 keyboard socket doesn't mean it's going to work. PC keyboards deliver a specific keycode(non- ASCII) to the plug when a key is pressed. Other types won't.
Stan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scancode
jsw

I checked and it's supposed to function as a standard PC keyboard. I know there were earlier SGI keyboards which do not. On Wednesday I found the SGI one pretty cheap, 10 + delivery, so I've taken a chance on it. I will post a message here if it doesn't work with PC hardware.
It's this keyboard:
http://www.sgistuff.net/hardware/other/images/key_granite.jpg
Thanks!
Chris
In article

I used to work for SGI. the keyboard you mention is NOT PS/2. It actually uses the old ADB style plug from the old Macintosh's. the plug looks very similar, but it is not the same. the good news is that people used to make adapter cables that would go from ADB to PS/2. i'd try and hunt one down somewhere. google or ebay will be your friend for this.
--Joel
--
remove "xxxnospamxxx" to reach me

If your favorite is the Sun type 5, try a Fujitsu FKB8720 (they go for around 10 bucks on ebay if you can find one). Same keyswitch as the Sun Type 5 so should be the same feel.
The SGI keyboards used one variant or another of the Alps keyswitch, which is highly regarded but has a different feel from the Fujitsus.