OT----Opinions requested on a moral dillema

I gotta HD story. So my house burns down and I need to buy some fixtures. So I go in and it was pretty late and I was tired and I buy a couple sinks and one faucet .... well I didn't notice they charged me twice for that faucet I went back about a week later and explained what happened. these so I paid double for kitchen faucets. \ Who has more than 1 kitchen in their house? So they just totally ripped me off I think HD is owned by some crime syndicate.

Reply to
daniel peterman

"daniel peterman" complained

Nah, they're owned by "Stupidity" syndicate. Nobody gives a damn about doing their jobs right, and nobody in the store has the authority to make any command decisions.

Home centers go through cycles. For a while, HD was the best in our area (and pretty damned good), but now Lowes has swung "up" and HD has worse service than WalMart.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:44:15 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

That's the case from the chapter I mentioned in Cialdini's book, Harold. "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion"

Another of the socialogical quirks we all need to be aware of that Cialdini mentions is that if you're hurt or need help, don't make a general plea like "HELP!", do NOT ask "everyone" for help. Look one person in the eye and ask them or command them to do something you need done right now. Asking everyone results in everyone waiting for someone else to move, and nobody does.

Knowing that can save your life.

As for your detractors, their karma is coming. If they live in NYC, part of it has already arrived.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks, Larry. So nice to know that there are rational people out there.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Brain damage is what you get for living in NY.

So Jim..care to address the implied question?

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

About kitty genovese? There was no question posed about her at all. But that was a long time ago, maybe things have changed. On the one hand you have bernie goetze on the NY subway, doing what he did. Then you have all the folks who wrestled that colin fergueson guy to the ground on the LIE.

All the lowlifes get the press, you never hear about the folks who do the standup thing. This isn't particular to NYC, or to any city in particular. You can say that rural areas produce more upstanding citizens - but for every kitty genovese incident, you have an Ed Gein incident on the other side.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Harold,

I hate to rain on your parade, but in reality, being in any group greater than three creates a situation in which most people are less likely to act in the face of a wrong that they witness (cite: "Influence: application and practice") so, pointing out that someone is from a heavily populated area and hense has been "desensitized" makes no sense. Do Missouri meth producers get away with what they do because they are located in the Ghetto? Well, probably not, because they are almost all in Rural areas. So, why don't those good country folk turn in their drug producing neighbors, if the size of the town determines the morals of the inhabitants? Well, one thing has nothing to do with the other, of course, and you're simply vomiting words onto the screeen.

Come up with a reasoned line of argument, or stop sucking up bandwidth that could be used for processing power to cure cancer.

FaxMeBeer

Perhaps you're right, but I was thinking of the studies some time ago (sorry, no cites. Just recalling what I saw on TV) where white rats were kept in heavy concentration. As they became more and more overpopulated, they became very aggressive towards one another. I certainly didn't intend for the comment to be negative towards any specific group. Just a suggestion that those that live in heavy populations may get desensitized to such things. Sort of a "not my problem" kind of attitude. Dunno.

Have to laugh at your suggestion that the band width in question might be solving cancer. Anyone smart enough to do that isn't reading the stupid things I post. :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Lack of privacy does that to humans, also. Think about that the next time you're scoping out strangers at the market.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

overpopulated,

I can only assume that you're not making reference to the ordeal at HD in this instance. I was hardly *scoping* anyone---but it wasn't too hard to see what was going on when you understand the fittings as I do. It all began very innocently----which is what created the dilemma for me. I know what's right from wrong, but what should one do in a circumstance such as this? Stand by as if it didn't happen? I'd be grateful if it was my store and someone spoke up. That's how I made my decision.

Having said that,

Yeah, I agree. It's amazing how private some people are. We asked some new neighbors, after "knowing" them for several weeks, how they met. She was highly insulted. Must have had something to hide. To us, it was a way to strengthen bonds. Apparently, to her, it was being way too nosy. Sigh. Another incident later told me that she was trouble, and we simply quit talking to them. Prior to that, when I'd talked to her husband alone, he had implied that she was somewhat strange in that regard.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Defnitely. My guess is they met at a coven during a demonic ritual, probably while eating the flesh of an unbaptized child. You should burn down their house, just to be on the safe side (make sure they are in it, of course, wouldn't want them casting any spells on you).

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Reply to
rigger

Dennis:

It's not that people are afraid to use their common sense, it's that we have made it illegal to do so. PC has become not a moral guide, but the law. If an inspector at the airport were to single out for more thorough scrutiny everyone his common sense told him might be a threat, he'd make not only the newspapers but also the court docket. Common sense has been thrown out like the baby with the bath water.

I wonder if the Israelis worry as much about the evils of profiling at their airports as we do at ours?

Remember Jesse Jackson's statement that, when he heard footsteps behind him on a dark street and turned to see who was behind him, he was relieved if he saw that his follower was white? How many people branded him as a racist for that remark? Very few. Instead, the reaction was that it was sad but true, and just common sense. Now, let's just imagine that it was instead Pat Robertson that said it. Or someone the press really likes, such as Dick Cheney. Or, maybe, Bill Bennett. Think he stands a chance now if he should run for political office?

I choose common sense over political correctness, as I suspect a lot of the other people on this newsgroup do. At the cost of occasionally being called an unfeeling dinosaur, or something worse.

On the other hand, common sense being applied by someone who lacks it can be dangerous indeed.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

John spoke:

have made it illegal to do so.< Right you are John. When I said people being too PC I automaticaly included (please please forgive me) politicians. Although most are pretty weird they are the types who are more afraid than anyone of alienating people, although I imagine they're not thinking of people at all but voters. Unfortunatly many of these voters think a pat-down of my grandmother (generic here I'm afraid) makes them safer or are too afraid to voice their true opinions. You know I always used to wonder what came over the German people before and during WWII. Now I think I have a partial answer. Asbestos power ON.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Never, *EVER*, for folks with manners. I don't care how much anyone disagrees with me (why must we all agree on everything?), it can be done politely. I see no need for anyone to be rude, crude and insulting----those guys get it instantly. Never to return, unless they post a message of apology------which is likely to come when pigs fly and sing.

snip---great stuff, though. And I agree, profiling is what smart people do. When frisk old ladies in wheel chairs when the enemy is known to be a young male?

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Consider it done. Not only is the house burned to the ground, I enjoyed a feast of the roasted flesh of the wife. Let me tell you, that gal was tough.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

LOL Harold; you're a good sport.. :) :) :)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

On 19 Nov 2005 09:57:49 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "John Martin" quickly quoth:

John, it's that too many folks don't -have- any common sense to use which causes the problems. Granted, a PC society eschews it, too.

Gee, he's racist against blacks, too? Will wonders never cease?

I strongly feel that Jesse Jackson is one of the, if not the, largest bigot in America today. He's a reverse racist, a black who hates whites. Louis Farrakhan is another one right up there with Jackson. The KKK's hatred probably pales in comparison.

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ==================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:54:15 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

Sorry, Harold, but smart people would frisk EVERYONE every time if there was a chance of one smuggling weapons or bombs aboard aircraft. Smart people would check all FREIGHT, too.

Does that tell you what the priorities of these goons are?

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

bigot in America today. He's a reverse racist, a black who hates whites. Louis Farrakhan is another one right up there with Jackson. The KKK's hatred probably pales in comparison.<

Having lived most of my life in the Chicagoland area I learned a dislike for JJ early on. He is about the most self serving person you can imagine. So it's especially hard to defend him but in this case I guess I will.

His statement about his feeling safer if a white person was walking behind him instead of a black person was not exclusive. I doubt he lost any following because of it because the feeling is shared by many black people. Just look at the statistics concerning who does the crime in black neighborhoods and, then of course, it's obvious.

There was more to that JJ speech which had a lot to do with his disappointment with the way blacks treated blacks, which was the point of his statement. I believe this is one of the few things I can agree with in his agenda. Not an overt racist like Louis Farrakhan who would like to destroy all white people, but instead a politician who doesn't care if his votes are black or white. He's actually pretty careful not to antagonize most of the time.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger