OT: [OT] That was funny!

Just now I told SWMBO that I've decided to fight senility.

I proudly told her that I refused to open any incoming package until I remembered what I had ordered.

She smiled and said "Looks like the hall is going to fill up."

Made me laugh out loud, that did. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

She who laughs last laughs best. Every week day at work, I head out to recieving to see if something I ordered for work showed up. Too darn often things show up that I can't remember ordering by looking at who shipped it. Thankfuly after I open the box I remember that I did order it.

Might as well admit defeat now.

Wes

Wes

(...)

I disagree!

There is hope (even for us older folks) in our brain's plastic nature. Over the last few months, I decided to test my brain's plasticity. I figured that I would recall the day and date without checking an external reference. Right now, I can tell you it's Saturday April 10th. (Yes I checked it after I typed it.)

It's simple. At the end of each month, I memorize only one number; that is the date of the first Monday for the following month. For instance, the first Monday in February and March fell on the 1st. The first Monday in April fell on the 5th.

So just now, I recalled that I was in the first week of April and that the first Monday fell on the 5th. I recalled that it was Saturday so, that makes the date 5 plus 5 (though I visualize the week as a sort of 'dice' '5' pattern with Monday in the top left corner and two dots representing the weekend on a second die.)

Next week, I'll recall that I'm in the 'second week' so I will merely add an offset of 7 to arrive at the date. Next Wednesday will fall on the 14th, because the second Monday in April will fall on the (5+7) or 12th.

In the third week, I will offset the numbers by 14. That Monday will fall on the 5+14 or the 19th.

The first week of the month is often a special case. In the first week of April, I reasoned that if the first Monday of the month had not occurred yet, then the date can only be in the range 1-4. I just count backwards which makes that Thursday April 1st. (Not a hint.)

It works a treat and inspires confidence. I wonder what other tricks people employ to remember stuff.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

As far as knowing the day, I try to remember to put my cell phone in my pocket. Thankfully it complains if the charge gets low.

I tend to email myself notes. Either work to home or home to work depending on where I'll be when I want to jog my memory.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

pocket. Thankfully

on where I'll

Yup. I leave myself answering-machine messages as well.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Jeez. Get a free account at box.net. Or Google has something like that now, I think.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

(...)

Dunno if that would make a great 'reminder', but it does look like a cool place to host an 'instructable' movie or somesuch.

Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yeah, I forget that we're used to checking messages in my family, because our home voice mail doesn't give notification of a call. But we're almost always logged in and we have Box.net on the toolbar.

One nice thing we have in my town, and in this whole area of NJ, is free wi-fi for subscribers of the cable Internet service, so my netbook is always with me and I'm logged in most of the time. I even have it on when I'm fishing from the pier 10 miles away. It's strange and my netbook smells like fish sometimes. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

(...)

So you don't Twitter (R) or Buzz (R) then?

It sure doesn't take us long to integrate technological miracles into our lives.

I got separated from SWMBO and her sister at a local mall. I didn't have my phone.

Stopped into a local coffee shop and asked for the location of a pay phone. Now I understand the phrase 'deer in the headlights look'.

So I used their WiFi hot spot to call SWMBO over VoIP using my PDA.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

What's that?

I despise Twitter. It's a scourge upon the English language and the American brain -- what's left of it. And I don't give a damn about what anyone had for lunch. Noise, noise...I love communication, but I hate noise.

Jesus. Think about how many networks and lost bits THAT involved. We use wig-wag. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Not twitter, but my favorite overheard sign-of-our-times - a teenager accompanying her parents in the automotive department at Walmart says into her cell phone: "so, what are you watching?"

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

At least she didn't tweet it. "I'm watching my fingernails grow now."

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 07:30:05 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

We telephony Luddites would have gone over to the white phone on the wall (just like airports) and had them page the missing party. I can't see paying over $100 a month to do internet on a 3" screen. I really and truly can't.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have a few memory aids, the one I used the most was simple:

Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly for Gold or Silver...

Anyone else remember that one?

Reply to
Steve W.

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:15:34 -0400, the infamous "Steve W." scrawled the following:

Ayup. And for the solar system, Mr. Victor Eats Many Jam Sandwiches Until Plump. But Plump ain't kosher no mo so she's out.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

Snort! :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

None available.

WiFi doesn't cost me anything. Santa Clara, CA has WiFi available free-for-nothing throughout many portions of the city. And of course there are the coffee shops.

Free is a good price, yes?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On 4/14/2010 1:15 PM, Steve W. wrote: (...)

OhHeckYa

But somehow I never needed that mnemonic because I used the color code so often that it became second nature.

I wanna build a clock that has an RMA readout some day.

2:35 would be Red - Orange - Green with the seconds bars doing Black, Brown, Red ... Green - Gray, Green - White, Black ...

Sorta like this but geekier:

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

How about a binary clock?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

BCD Good one. Would you use 1,2,4,2* or 1,2,4,8,??? I think the 1,2,4,2* would be the best. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick