OT: Plumbing Parts

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 19:25:32 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Yes, in a bizarre way, it is. :)
--Winston
On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 14:19:39 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote:

search_mode=exact&selection=Coalinga+Earthquake+1983|Coalinga|Earthquake| 1983>
Hey Guns,
If you contrast the condition of the buildings that can be described as 'single family detached' with those buildings that cannot be described thusly, you will see a marked difference in post-quake damage, yes?
I'd say, given the destruction shown in the storefronts and 'industrial' buildings, the bulk of the SFD's did extremely well. I agree that most of the buildings in those photos were probably total writeoffs, SFD's included. Some protected their residents better than others though.
I can very easily imagine someone emerging from any of those SFDs, with scratches and a serious 'case of WTF' at worst.
From the TV repair shop? Not so much. :)
There were 94 people injured in that quake. I don't see any citations of deaths. I conjecture that had the ~5:45 PM shaker happened three hours earlier there would have been many killed.
--Winston<--
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 17:45:54 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote:
(...)

Right you are.

That is an amazingly low death rate, considering the mess the quake made of those buildings.

I suspect quite a few found creative ways out, confronted with the need. :)

Lots of lives were saved by building code enforcement that day.
I'm thinking about eastern Turkey in 2011 for example. Three days after their quake they had 461 confirmed dead. http://www.thefreshoutlook.com/?pX79
The 1999 Turkey quake that took 20,000 lives is significant for the same reason.
--Winston

Suggest find out what the moen part number is and source it from out of state using ebay, amazon, or google shopping.
Replace the faucet. I have found Moen to be total crap (I was going to say "total shit", but I didn't want to offend anyone <g>). I outfitted my house with Moen because I thought they were a quality manufacturer; every unit has failed me, and the "Lifetime Warranty" just means I had to repair the most inaccessible parts every year for the rest of my life. Especially bad for the tub and the shower faucets - with the works hidden behind walls.
I've switched to Delta, Pfister, & Hansgrohe. Not a problem with any of them.
Joe
On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 14:40:47 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 19:24:27 -0400, Joe wrote:

My earliest experience with Moen was when our plumber forgot to install the retainer clip. I turned the valve on and the guts popped out of the cartridge. Funny.

That mixer is our only Moen part now. I'm not looking forward to buying more specialized tools to service the other (Pfister, Hansgrohe) valves.
--Winston

Call Moen and bitch to the lead guy. Maybe they'll send you a new part, gratis.
-- Truth loves to go naked. --Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732
Find a friend who lives outside PRC, have him or her buy you two sets, and ship them in.
And, move out of PRC.
I had a similar problem in NYS, and had some parts reshipped from Florida.
Confronted with a leaky Moen shower valve, I discovered that the replacement cartridges are virtually unobtanium, in a timely fashion.
Explanation from the plumbing guy at the local Borg is that California's lead legislation means that these brass parts cannot be sold here.
He also implied that I could (cough) obtain a valve from their store in Oregon because they have eight of the little beauties on the shelf.
In retrospect, I should have ordered a replacement several months ago.
How would you solve this problem?
--Winston
I would get it from oregon.

On 8 Jul 2012 21:07:27 GMT, the renowned Winston

I'd just buy it online from a non-California source- it will most likely be cheaper even after shipping and you'll have it quickly. Who cares about a few ppb of lead in a shower fixture?
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
says...

Well, after forcing down the urge to strangle the legislator responsible I'd look up the part number and order it from Amazon.
On 7/8/2012 5:07 PM, Winston wrote:

It should be a lifetime warranty. Call them and they will send you the part for free. I've had good luck with them.
http://www.moen.com/consumer-support/warranty#home_care

I think Micheal Terrill had the best advice <VBG>
My better half has called them and got warranty on our 20 year valves.
Karl
On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 20:18:45 -0400, Tom Gardner wrote:

Well, heck.
I never thought to do that. Though I don't have the necessary receipt, my friends at Hansgrohe (for example) did ship me a part without a receipt after I explained that it was installed by a contractor.
I am chagrined. Thanks.
--Winston
On 7/9/2012 3:15 PM, Winston wrote:

I never needed a receipt, I just called and they sent the parts.
On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 21:55:35 -0400, Tom Gardner wrote:
(...)

It's one of those things that looks like it might be difficult and time - consuming but is really easy and fairly fast, like getting gas bottles refilled.
Normally.
Huh.
--Winston
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    a) Road Trip!
    B) move to New England.
    Or you could just order it from Oregon instead.
--
pyotr
Thanks, (in no meaningful order) PrecisionmachinsT, Larry, Iggy, Speff, J. Clarke and Pyotr.
--Winston
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Or "Moron"
    I realize that any instruction which can be misunderstood, will be ... but ...
--
pyotr
On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 00:51:57 -0700, pyotr filipivich wrote:
(...)

Their sheet provides instructions for six different kinds of faucets using 56 little bitty postage-stamp-sized monochrome cartoons.
The entire sheet measures 5-1/2" x 10-3/4"!
They show the knob support coming straight off the valve stem axis.
It doesn't do that, for the shower mixer type.
Any attempt to make it do that will result in a little war of wills. Instead, that part pivots off the end of the stem quick and easy in about half a second and it installs with the same kind of motion, snickety-snack. I would be at a total loss in showing that motion in a tiny cartoon, however.
They show installation of the cartridge to be at 90 degrees rotation in relation to the way the old cartridge came out. If you follow that particular instruction, you will get the tiniest trickle on reassembly because the water inlets are not facing the features in the cast brass body. (DAMHIKT!) :)
There's also a little spacer made of *transparent* plastic (not shown in instructions) between the end of the valve stem and the inside of the knob support. It is nearly invisible as it chameleons against any surface it should happen to fall upon.
If you forget to install that little puppy, the valve will never completely close; It will cause the valve to drip with more enthusiasm than it did when you decided it was leaking too much. :)
But I digress.
I'll probably use my little lathe to make a slightly longer spacer this afternoon.
--Winston <--There! Now I feel better.