OT: Plumbing Parts

I was within shock range of an earth quake. It felt like my washing machine had gone in to spin cycle, and I was sitting on top.

I was at the computer, and the washing machine was turned off.

.

The day after our new furnace was installed, SWMBO and I were sitting, reading the paper when everything gave a little tremble; her question was "I think your new furnace has a problem!"

Gerry :-)} London,Canada

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I hope I never find out what a big one feels like, living on a fault with expectations of one in the near future.

When I was a kid in Prague living on the fifth floor of an apartment block my bedside lamp started swinging for no apparent reason. It was only the next day I learned there was an earthquake.

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic

Yes, in a bizarre way, it is. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

That is Most Excellent!

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Best way to prevent one is to spend $1000 on emergency supplies and a couple weeks Red Cross training.

:)

That's what happens with most 'quakes here in Silicon Gulch, California. The first notice we get for most of them is on the morning newscast.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Hey Guns,

If you contrast the condition of the buildings that can be described as 'single family detached' with those buildings that cannot be described thusly, you will see a marked difference in post-quake damage, yes?

I'd say, given the destruction shown in the storefronts and 'industrial' buildings, the bulk of the SFD's did extremely well. I agree that most of the buildings in those photos were probably total writeoffs, SFD's included. Some protected their residents better than others though.

I can very easily imagine someone emerging from any of those SFDs, with scratches and a serious 'case of WTF' at worst.

From the TV repair shop? Not so much. :)

There were 94 people injured in that quake. I don't see any citations of deaths. I conjecture that had the ~5:45 PM shaker happened three hours earlier there would have been many killed.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Right you are.

That is an amazingly low death rate, considering the mess the quake made of those buildings.

I suspect quite a few found creative ways out, confronted with the need. :)

Lots of lives were saved by building code enforcement that day.

I'm thinking about eastern Turkey in 2011 for example. Three days after their quake they had 461 confirmed dead.

The 1999 Turkey quake that took 20,000 lives is significant for the same reason.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston