OT: PVR / HTPC questions

I started to open a BIG can of worms looking into Home Theatre PCs. I'm not aware of all the capabilities that I want or that are available. Basically, I want to record shows and movies to watch on my schedule and record while watching something else, but I might be intrigued by other capabilities. I have an old PC box that I can dedicate to TV watching with a AMD 2800, 1gb RAM, 250mbhd, a Gforce 6600/256mb with S-video out. I have standard analog cable on a Scientific Atlanta box with 9 premium channels. The TV has S-video in, 2 composite video in and cable in.

  • What's the difference between XP and Windows Media Edition? I have a spare XPP license, will it do?

  • I like the idea of a 2-tuner card to record and watch different stuff. Is this a must-have? I've been looking at Hauppauge 350s and 500s. Should I be looking at others?

  • What's a good way to control everything? I see Microsoft's Media Center Keyboard might do all.

  • How can the PC control the cable box?

  • Is there a software suite that sits head and shoulders above the others?

  • How is program info usually available? Can something capture the guide from my provider?

This is really cool stuff, I wish I knew more. When I'm done I will be competent and will gladly pass on what I've learned. I hope some of you have already done the homework and will help me build this. Next project is Automotive Computing...what fun!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

When I looked at all of this, I decided to get a Tivo and be done with it. Tivo is now offering the box free with a 3 year subscription, it is on their website under web specials.

I know this is not responsive to your question, and for that I apologize, just offering up the decision I made...

Reply to
Emmo

I perfectly understand and that might be the way I go.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

One other quick thought, I have a wireless networked notebook next to my ez chair at all times. Would it be easy to use it in addition to a remote for more input intensive work?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

If you're willing to explore a non-MS Windows solution, you might want to try mythtv. I've heard it's hard to set up from scratch, but it has a lot of attractive features. Haven't tried it out yet, but I plan on giving it go when my work load lets up.

There's also a live CD version, so you can give it a try with your hardware without installing Linux:

If you have the bandwidth to download and can burn a boot CD, this might be worth a shot.

Reply to
nick

Dang, CRS strikes again. It's MythTV that's available in a special Linux version.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

Downside on the Tivo is that they don't have a standalone with HD capability yet.

Reply to
J. Clarke