OT: Rainy Day

Wow. I dumped 3.7" out of the rain gauge about 8pm last night. Then about 2am, I woke up in the storm, went out during a lull, and the rain gauge had run over at 5", no telling how long. It only had 0.6" in it just now, so hopefully the worst is over. We're fine, I'm not sure about our neighbors down on the river. It went from no measurable flow to 25000 cfs and 22' gauge (flood gauge is 9'). Right now it's down to 7400 cfs and 12'.

We're west of Georgetown, Texas a little, the river is the South Fork of the San Gabriel, and the dumper is Hermine.

Oh by the way, we went into McBride's yesterday, and got me a birthday present a little early, a Kimber Custom II (the less expensive black one) .45. It's like the one my youngest son bought, which shot very well. It'll be next week before I can get to the range. My youngest has been accepted into CI, MOS 0211, so he'll finally be leaving Yuma. Of course he'll have to get through their school. He's shooting expert, MCMAP brown belt instructor, and WSQ, so he's motivated. I hope he gets some leave before he transfers, so we can get in some shooting and fishing.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Fort Worth here, same story. interesting driving to work this morning. curb lanes were unusable. Trinity River looks about to jump the levies.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Looks like we ended up with about 15". Hope you're o.k.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Wow, 414 miles west of where my brother and I started our bicycle trip at Pecos in 96. That is one big state. How much different are the soil conditions from where you are compared to Pecos? I remember a lot of water control projects in a dry area. The locals told me the ground really doesn't suck up water all that well.

I'd avoid canoeing for a while ;) I tried it once on a normally gentle river and damn near drownded when a week of rain turned it into a beast.

Nice present.

You raised a good man and son.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Thanks, Wes. We're proud of him. I don't know the ground in Pecos, but it may be caliche, which is about as absorbent as concrete. We've got a few inches of really gooey clay on top of broken limestone, then limestone bedrock. Not very absorbent either.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

A little water logged, but still breathing...

Reply to
CaveLamb

Fine here. got 7+ inches, lots of erosion in the backyard (steep hill). Wife works in NW Dallas, was delayed leaving by the tornado she watched out her office window.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Dump? Maybe you need one of these? ;-)

I use
with it, which can be shared directly over the net, and it also uploads data to wunderground, like so

I don't think this area has ever seen anything like that. Doesn't sound fun.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Only problem is that the net has been down all over the country. (AT&T and Verizon, anyway) So you'd probably have to walk out in the rain and read it manually...

Reply to
CaveLamb

Yeah, mine's a little old fashioned. $3 plastic tube. I'd like one of those someday. Right now, with all the construction, I'd have a hard time figuring out where to place it. Once the shop's done, I'll have a linux box out there.

Actually, exceeding 5" here in central Texas is pretty rare, so the plastic tube has worked fine. When I lived on the coast, I'd say we exceeded 5" almost every year. My personal worst was in about 1980 in Brazoria with 26" in 24 hours. 30 miles up the road in the same storm, Alvin got 43.75".

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

There's no display on the rain gauge. It's wireless. It's solar powered. It transmits data to the base unit.

You then read data off the base unit sitting inside on your table (or screwed to your wall) or you can optionally additionally read it from your computer, or you can optionally additionally read it over the net.

The net is irrelevant to data viewing and acquistion by the weather station owner.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Big ???????????????????

Texas is tiny.

Now for the big stir ! VBG

If you were to stand in El Paso and look north as far as the Canadian border then almost all of the states on your left would fit in my state.

California, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho, most of New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana and Colorado.

My state (Western Australia) is 976838 square miles compared to

269000 for Texas, which is only larger than Victoria and Tasmania and the ACT which is our equivalent to Washington DC, either of which could be happily lost by both countries!

Alan

Reply to
alan200

Wankin' big sand gropin' braggart, aintcha, Alan?

xox

P.S: My Oregon has more pale, obese, oogly wimmenz than your state.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ok, you started it. I had a couple friends / coworkers in the '70's that were sent to the Waters Associates chromatography school in Boston. One was a very reserved family man, Hispanic. The other a totally crazy half Irish-half Sicilian. He had a small family, but wouldn't buy the cheap company life insurance because "I'm not going to be worth $100,000 to anybody dead". About the only thing they had in common was they worked for the same outfit and were from Texas.

When they got back they had two unanimous impressions of Boston they shared:

  1. Scrod is not fit to eat.
  2. The women in Boston are UGLY.

;) Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Reel you in, you bit. VBG

The only problem we have is distance, miles and miles of bugger all outside the south eastern corner.

Absolutely Guaranteed, your female 50.4% of 3,825,657 total population is almost as big as our total of 2,273,000 of which about

1,555,000 live in the Perth area.

My future home will be here, on the southern edge of the metro area

Construction to start next month and I will have a granddad flat nearest the shed, #1 son & family in the main house about where the trailer is parked. The back half of the shed is my workshop, son has front.

Alan

Reply to
alan200

Wow, you have paved roads and _roofs_ now. You're coming right along.

Say "Hi" to Phully for me the next time you're down (up?) Nannup way.

-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard

Reply to
Larry Jaques