Wow, this is the weldor of the [last] century

Did you note that they REFUSED to let him connect to the sewer line, and would not let him run his business without it? Also, they closed off the road to his property, and would not let him build another road?

It sure sounds like they went WAY out of their way to screw him over for good... But we never find out the true facts after such an incident.

Reply to
Cross-Slide

I caught both facts , and I think you're right . They went out of their way to make his property useless for his intended purpose . Makes me wonder who owns it now ...betcha a quarter it's the concrete plant owner .

Reply to
Snag

I did not quite understand what transpired.

Did he sell the property to Docheff?

Was his property a property that was disadvantaged by the existing lot belonging to Docheff?

Does it look like that Docheff bought out the city zoning commission?

Ignoramus6201

Sounds just like the Oregon Dept. of Transportation. There was a recent newspaper story of how they have screwed several local businesses by giving them assurances in writing they would still have access to their businesses if they would sell a bit of property to ODOT for highway changes. ODOT went ahead and closed off access anyway.

Paul

Reply to
KD7HB

I read this a bit differently. Heemeyer seemed to be in neverending fights with just about everybody in town, and the town may well have been trying to drive him away.

I've seen this happen in Mass.

You can't fight City Hall.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Here's another approach (I've often thought about doing this...)

rangerssuck

That is also possible.

Ignoramus18826

My reading is that Dorcheff already owned the adjacent property. In '92, Heemeyer agreed to sell his property to them and then reneged. If you check footnote #5, you will see that there was also talk of getting legalized gambling at the same time. Heemeyer got greedy and the property deal fell through.

12 years later the concrete company decided to expand on it's own property.

Heemeyer had been using their property as a driveway all this time. The new plant would block that access The city required him to get a sewer connection. The nearest point for a sewer connection was on Dorcheff's land. I don't know what negotiations might have occurred concerning that right of way, but Neemeyer seems to have alienated them long before the sewer became an issue.

Heemeyer's solution to the problem is evident.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that uf Heemeyer had been using the concrete company's property as a driveway, he had a pretty solid case for adverse posession.

rangerssuck

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that uf Heemeyer had been using the concrete company's property as a driveway, he had a pretty solid case for adverse posession.

No, I think that is squatter's rights. He would have to physically occupy the property. He might have an easement, but I think that his lot would have to have no access to the public way. If he just drove on their land because it was closer, that wouldn't count. In either case, a lawyer would probably be a better tool than an armored bulldozer.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

But not nearly as cool.

Reply to
ATP

snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com...

.

And the bulldozer was probably cheaper than a lawyer.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Agreed (about the lawyer). But if he had used a lawyer instead of a bulldozer, we'd have been deprived of all this entertainment ;-)

The reason I brought up adverse posession is because we had a "situation" with a neighbor several years ago who had his driveway repaved, extending a couple of feet on our side of the property line. We were advised to "encourage" him to remove it, even though it really made no difference to us, because it could screw things up when the properties were sold, by way of adverse posession. In other words, it could f*ck up the title.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Paul, thanks, I agree with this analysis, great explanation.

Ignoramus18826

Agreed (about the lawyer). But if he had used a lawyer instead of a bulldozer, we'd have been deprived of all this entertainment ;-)

The reason I brought up adverse posession is because we had a "situation" with a neighbor several years ago who had his driveway repaved, extending a couple of feet on our side of the property line. We were advised to "encourage" him to remove it, even though it really made no difference to us, because it could screw things up when the properties were sold, by way of adverse posession. In other words, it could f*ck up the title.

You were right, adverse possession does come into it.

But Colorado law requires either reasonable necessity, prior agreement, or continued illegal use for 18 years

Easements by Prescription

As distinct interests in property, easements-similar to ownership of land may be acquired through adverse possession or use. As with claims for adverse possession for fee ownership, claims for prescriptive easements require a showing of continued open, notorious and adverse use of the easement for the statutory period of eighteen years

Heemeyer was only there for 12 years.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman