OT: Rattlesnake help

Hi All,

The last couple of days the dog has been barking and sniffing around various rock piles around the house (20 miles out of town by the way) I didn't take much notice as we get a lot of Gopher snakes and they are good at controlling the rats and mice so we live and let live. Pretty much the same for the rattlesnakes as long as they don't come too close the house.

Well, I am guessing it is a Rattlesnake the dog was sniffing around for as it got bitten today. A 300-dollar vet bill and he should be OK, although he is pretty down at the moment.

I keep going out for a walk around but have seen nothing, but the worrying part is that there are rock walls around the house footings. We could easily step out of the front or back door on to a big old nasty, so here's the questions.

When is it best to look for them?

Will they be mostly out in the open or under ledges, bushes and rocks?

Where should I look?

Any other helpful suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

In the 'other' pile -- does your county have an animal control division? They'd have answers for you that apply to your local climate and snakes.

They might even have names for you, if you're into hiring work done to clear them out.

Or recipes...

Reply to
Tim

They'll hide in the shade during the hot part of the day , if the mornings are chilly they'll be out getting some sun . Best of luck with the hunt ! Sucks that your dog got bit , my fear of just that happening are why our dog has yet to visit our place up in the Ozarks .

Reply to
Snag

They hate gasoline. Get a shotgun, lock the dog in the garage, get a ladder and get on top of it (not too high, 6' should do) dribble some gas in there, and get it when it comes out. It it's not home, it won't go back in there when it does return. Be very careful, as when they smell the gas they come out fast. Really fast.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Thanks guys,

He is remarkably much improved. Still a lot of swelling and doesn't like being touched anywhere, but he is alert and wandering around. Tail wagging and all. He's gonna be OK, I am sure. Same cannot be said of the snake if/when I find it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

Gunner Asch on Sat, 24 Sep 2011 18:27:13 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

So the one Hopi is walking along, and he see's his friend eating something "unusual". (Doesn't recognize it.) Aks what his friend is eating. "It's roasted chicken." "Roasted chicken. Well. How does it taste?" "Just like rattlesnake."

thank, thank you, I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress and try the veal. It tastes just like buffalo.

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

You got off easy with a mere $300 vet bill. A rattler in the yard cost us $1000, and one of the two dogs bitten died anyway. Still, I catch and release rattlesnakes. Must have relocated about 100 of them by now. You're a wuss.

Reply to
Beryl

Had three dogs bitten by rattlers. All lived, but got sick as a dog.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

This is why chickens make better pets. Rattler cannot penetrate the feathers and the feet don't have blood circulating. Don't reach under chickens to grab eggs without checking for rattlers. They love to curl up underneath and stay warm.

BTW, cattle will successfully atack and kill rattlers. However they and up with a swolen ankle about the size of a soccer ball.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

and the feet don't have blood circulating. Don't reach under chickens to grab eggs without checking for rattlers. They love to curl up underneath and stay warm.

with a swolen ankle about the size of a soccer ball.

I believe that pigs are supposed to kill and eat rattle snakes. Maybe a couple in the back yard would be the solution.

Reply to
John B.

and the feet don't have blood circulating. Don't reach under chickens to grab eggs without checking for rattlers. They love to curl up underneath and stay warm.

with a swolen ankle about the size of a soccer ball.

Pigs are liberals. They are fat & lazy. They want free housing and expect you to feed them all they can eat. They wallow in their own crap, and make a lot of noise.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

feathers and the feet don't have blood circulating. Don't reach under chickens to grab eggs without checking for rattlers. They love to curl up underneath and stay warm.

with a swolen ankle about the size of a soccer ball.

Go after a southern feral hog with a billy club and see which one ends up sausage..

Reply to
Mr.E

feathers and the feet don't have blood circulating. Don't reach under chickens to grab eggs without checking for rattlers. They love to curl up underneath and stay warm.

up with a swolen ankle about the size of a soccer ball.

That would be a wild boar, AKA, a rabid Democrat running for office and in need of campaign funds, but feel free to demonstrate your claim. Make sure that someone shoots video of your and your hog and posts it on Youtube.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hi All, woos or no woos, the debt has been repaid in full. Damned near stepped on it just outside the back door. It has been relocated, well all of the pieces I could find have. {grin}

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that