#OT# San Francisco Bay bridge

From the news reports it appears that the major cause for the
delay in repairs of the San Francisco Bay Bridge is a lack of the
required steel. Is this what we have managed to accomplish with
the deindustrialization of the U.S. -- that we can no longer
repair a bridge? Where is the steel coming from -- India or
China?
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Crews trying to repair the San
Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge ran into delays Friday as they
waited for new steel plates needed to strengthen the troubled
span before final tests could be run on the fix.

Gunner: do you have any steel plate the state could use?
Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?
Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Reply to
F. George McDuffee
I sure do. And its only $11,034.00 per pound. What thickness do they neeed and how may square feet?
Gunner
Reply to
Gunner Asch
Jeez, George, don't you become one of those hand-wringers, too. US steel production through October was 50 million tons. Imports were around 12 million tons. Exports to date are about 7 million tons.
The US is in good shape in the production of structural steel. The market has fallen off sharply, but our production exceeds our net imports by something like 10:1. With a soft market, they've been working off inventories. There will be a lag now, as usual, as the market picks up.
Reply to
Ed Huntress
Actually, it's 10% of China's production, this year to date. And according to Arcelormittal, they're running at severe excess capacity and 30% of their output is break-even. Their steel industry is heading for trouble, which means the world steel industry is in for a price fight. Expect tariffs next year, as China tries to dump its excess capacity on the world.
Reply to
Ed Huntress
No problem PO is being faxed over to you, but you get paid in CREDIT DIRRAVITES !!!!!
Best Regards Tom.
Reply to
azotic
I feel for them. The bridge I cross on the way to work has been out of service since just after labor day. They hope to have it up by memorial day. The daily detour is a pita, can't wait for the joys of winter while relying on Jenny NoJobs to plow the roads.
Wes
Wow, that's almost 7% of China's steel production!
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
You may be right. But I think this administration is start enough not to start a trade war with China. It would be devastating.
It will be much better to work through the WTO. China really can't fight that organization.
Reply to
Ed Huntress
there was a guy on tv saying "expect tariffs" because of the upcoming elections, angry voters and china being a favorite whipping boy. the elected officials are going to come out in force to punish china, because that's what the working man/average voter wants. it's a perfect storm.
b.w.
Reply to
William Wixon
I suspect the steel isn't just A36 junk steel we all use.
It is special and of unique alloy as well as certified like boiler plate.
Yes - many mills are out of business. But most mills are Midwest. Some are scattered. Then it must be transported. Truck or Train or airplane. Ugh money, money and more money.
Martin
F. George McDuffee wrote:
Martin H. Eastburn
The delay from China steel is in the new span. China supplier is a year late in supplying the parts. Forget what the part was. But was in local paper.
Reply to
Bill McKee
Actually, I have not seen a lot of brains in this administration. About the same amount as the last administration.
Reply to
Bill McKee
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell
Do you take carbon credits?
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
Ok, Ill have my accountants go over it when it comes in. It might take a couple weeks before they give me a thumbs up or not.
Gunner
Reply to
Gunner Asch
======= As the bridge was opened in 1936 it seems likely that normal hot or cold rolled "arn" was used. Not positive on this however. One alternative for a quick repair is to simply make the parts bigger/heavier. Its not like the bridge is going anywhere.
I for one would like more information about the material specs, size/weight, number of parts, prices, etc.
As Jackie Stewart said "it makes me Scottish blood run cold" just to think about the air freight bill for 20k or 30k lbs of steel...
F. George McDuffee
No, but his cats will.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell
Ill have to check with the accountants and see if they are on the list this week.
Ill let you know.
We are however running a special on Gold Accounts. If you pay in 99.99 Fine, we give you 25% off.
Gunner
Reply to
Gunner Asch
But I liked the last administration more. ;)
Wes
Reply to
Wes