Semi-OT: USS San Francisco

Hey all.

I ran across this link. It has some shockingly interesting photos, as well as serving as a launching point for more info:

Greg Heilers
Digital_Cowboy

Key-Rap!

I imagine that the boat will be repaired and return to duty, though. USS Cole did, so I'd think this one would too.

Reply to
Rufus

hopefully not a total write off. That is if there is no significant structural damage to the inner pressure hull. I can detect a buckle/bulge in the hull just above the farthest part of the damaged hull. Note how the safety railing goes up over a little hill and is not straight as it should be.

I suspect that they will have to cut off the whole front half of the ship and build another one or graft on on from another sub, If one is available.

Considering the age of the ship and depending on the severity of any hull buckling it may wind up as a write off because they may not want to throw any money into an old LA class and just build another Virginia class to take it's place.

Scott

Reply to
Scott A. Bregi AKA The Model Hobbit

"with enough money, you can restore everything."

-evrett dirksen

"There can never be "too much" money, horsepower, or cleavage. And any one will get you the other two".

- Me.

Reply to
Rufus

you can never have too much ram, bet too thin or overdose on hooters....

-me

"Digital_Cowboy" wrote

It swam.

Not yet. There are several decomm'd LA boats up at Bremerton. It has been discussed - and it is possible - that one of those boats would be carved up for parts. Seems they don't want to waste the new core load in the 711.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin