Going to San Francisco

Can someone please recommend some good HO shops in downtown San Francisco?

Thanks

Carter Braxton

Reply to
Carter Braxton

Carter Braxton spake thus:

The best shop in San Francisco isn't downtown; it's Franciscan Hobbies in Ingleside, near S.F. State and the ocean. Fortunately, you can easily reach it by taking a Muni streetcar. Take the K-Ingleside from downtown to Ocean and Keystone Way, about 10 blocks past where the K-car makes the turn onto Ocean from Portola. You won't be disappointed.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

in article 446a0837$0$3691$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com, David Nebenzahl at snipped-for-privacy@but.us.chickens wrote on 5/16/06 10:17 AM:

If you can make it to Silicon Valley, I would suggest The Train Shop in Santa Clara (corner of Winchester and Pruneridge, near Valley Fair). N, HO, O, and G, and some brass. Good place, lots of stock (blue boxes included), and good prices.

I also second the Franciscan Hobbies choice, though last time I was there, it had a distinctive, "I'll organize this place some day" feel to it.

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

Edward A. Oates spake thus:

Actually, that's one of the things I like about the place. You never know what you might find there, under piles of stuff.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Franciscan Hobbies and Chen's

Haven't been to either in ages, hope they are still there.

If you are going towards San Jose then "The Train Shop".

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Paul Newhouse spake thus:

That's Chan's Trains and Hobbies (on Van Ness); not as good as Franciscan.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

My bad. Yes, if you only have time for one I would vote for Franciscan.

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair!

Depends on what you are looking for, but a few years back, Chens (on Van Ness near Lombard) had tons of Athern blue box kits and such.

DAve

Reply to
DaveW

Fransciscan Hobbies on Ocean Ave (I think) is you best bet and is definitely still in business. None of these shops are "Downtown". You can get close to Fransican via BART or The Muni, and of course buses if you must. Rents downtown are much too high. San Fransisco has many shopping districts scattered throughout the city. Get out and explore the city. You won't be disappointed.

Ken Harst> Can someone please recommend some good HO shops in downtown San Francisco? >

Reply to
Ken Harstine