OT-Scientists Admit GW blunders

A WARNING that climate change will melt most of the Himalayan glaciers by
2035 is likely to be retracted after a series of scientific blunders by the
United Nations body that issued it.
Two years ago the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) issued a
benchmark report that was claimed to incorporate the latest and most
detailed research into the impact of global warming. A central claim was the
world's glaciers were melting so fast that those in the Himalayas could
vanish by 2035.
The report read: "Glaciers in the Himalaya are receding faster than in any
other part of the world and, if the present rate continues, the likelihood
of them disappearing by the year 2035 and perhaps sooner is very high if the
Earth keeps warming at the current rate."
In the past few days the scientists behind the warning have admitted that it
was based on a news story in the New Scientist, a popular science journal,
published eight years before the IPCC's 2007 report.
It has also emerged that the New Scientist report was itself based on a
short telephone interview with Syed Hasnain, a little-known Indian scientist
then based at Jawaharlal Nehru University in Delhi.
The revelation is the latest crack to appear in the scientific concensus
over climate change. It follows the so-called climate-gate scandal, where
British scientists apparently tried to prevent other researchers from
accessing key date. Last week another row broke out when the Met Office
criticised suggestions that sea levels were likely to rise 1.9m by 2100,
suggesting much lower increases were likely.

Best Regards
Tom.
Reply to
azotic
Policing itself? I don't THINK so! THEY---GOT---CAUGHT!!! But, I give you credit, It takes a lot of guts to stay on the sinking ship. Stupid, but a lot of guts!
Reply to
Buerste
No, read the full cited link. It was other scientists in the field who blew the whistle, and now the IPCC is owning up to the error and correcting the report. No AGW denier ever corrects anything.
Reply to
anorton
Another article...
has the following from one of the whistle blowers. Note his final words. ----------- Meanwhile, in an interview with the news agency AFP, Georg Kaser from the University of Innsbruck in Austria - who led a different portion of the AR4 process - said he had warned that the 2035 figure was wrong in 2006, before AR4's publication.
"It is so wrong that it is not even worth discussing," he told AFP in an interview.
He said that people working on the Asia chapter "did not react".
He suggested that some of the IPCC's working practices should be revised by the time work begins on its next landmark report, due in 2013.
But its overall conclusion that global warming is "unequivocal" remains beyond reproach, he said.
Reply to
Beryl
It takes a really stupid rat, not to jump ship before the deck goes under the waterline.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell
Why do you assume I'm in the control of the energy industry? I'm just an observer of the left and spotter of bullshit in general. The AGW agenda smelled wrong, the emails proved it, this last bit of news is icing on the cake.
Btw, I quit smoking for health reasons before the tobacco companies got busted. I noticed a correlation between people I know and early deaths that smoked. Heck, every smoker knew it, why do you think ciggarettes were refered to as coffin nails? We all knew the truth, even when big tobacco lied.
I quit May 6, 1986, 7:25PM.
Wes
And the crabs got off the ship on the Captain's dingy.
Reply to
Buerste
Not all. Ed's still here.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell
During an abandon ship drill in WW2, my father related, the Marines were being instructed how to jump from the deck and protect themselves from debris in the water. One grizzled old Gunnery Sergeant seemed singularly unimpressed and uninterested. The instructor berated him for his inattention and asked him how he expected to survive having a ship shot out from under him.
He replied: "I'll do just like I did twice last war. I'll wait 'til the deck's awash and just step off."
Reply to
John Husvar
The truth is if you believe
.. Unless you start up with your mind made up.
There is a perfect parallel between the tobacco industry cover up and the global warming cover up.
When I was in college in 1971, we were taught that by 2000, 20% of the world's population would be dead from pollution. By 1982 I had built a super insulated solar home, worked like a slave in my 10,000 sq ft organic garden, recycled everything before public recycling was available, and built noisy wind mills. I was snookered, alright, by subversive professors. Now I am ashamed I fell for that crap.
Reply to
clarkmagnuson
That's ok if it sinks slow, and level. If it doesn't, you'll be pulled under and you may drown. The bigger the hunk of steel, the better the chance you won't make it.
My relatives who served in the Navy were mostly submariners, so their chances were very poor if their sub got hit.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell
Let the Record show that "Buerste" on or about Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:48:04 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
And there are organizations which manufacture "guilt" and then sell "guilt relief". "The planet is dieing, and it is your fault. To be absolved of your guilt, send 29.95 to Buy Our Carbon Credits. Do it now.!"
tschus pyotr
If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Do it for enough days, and you can destroy any local fishing industry, thus assuring that you'll be able to sell his picture to those who feel guilty about 'world hunger(tm)".
But if you teach the man to fish, he not only can feed himself for the rest of his life, he might actually become self sufficient. Then you can sell him hooks, line, bait, motors, a bigger boat, a trailer, a car, even a fishing license. Possibly even a retirement program so that he can travel to far off parts of the world and go fishing. - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Reply to
pyotr filipivich
Well, you have a start on being a Survivalist.
Wes