OT: Shipping from Canada to US by UPS

Uhh... I think he said a truck "part" :)

Reply to
Jim Kovar

Hey Jim,

You are correct! Change the Whoaaa...to Whooops!! Sorry about that!

Take care.

Brian Laws>>> Hey Joe,

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Hoo boy, Brian, yes it would be. I hate to have to say this after the time you took to write up that good advice, but it is...let me quote myself..."a rusty old truck *part*--specifically, a side mount spare tire carrier for my '52 Chevy 3/4 ton truck.

They're hard to find around here because they were a one-year item. The side mount carrier was first offered in 1953, the last year of the '47-'53 bed style with angled bed rails. In '54 the top of the bed rails was flat, and the '54 carrier was used into the '60s. I was amazed to discover that a fellow in Alberta has, he says, 40-50 of them. He's obviously been collecting them for a while.

Thanks for the help.

Joe ============================================

Reply to
Joe Way

Check out this thread on shipping from Canada to the US......Paul

PJ

Hey Joe,

Yep!! Somebody else told me to put on my glasses!! Sorry about that!

I just now went to your URL, and WOW!! that is one good looking vehicle. I can see why you want to do all the detailing possible!

So don't get scared here, but I've also got a little story about one just like it that I was driving. There is a geographical area know as the "Niagara Escarpment" near my hometown of Dundas, Ontario. Dundas lies in a "valley" just west of Hamilton, and the escarpment is maybe

500 feet(??) high there. Anyway, there is as very steep road running along the face of the escarpment. In about 1960 I was driving a service truck, a 1/2 ton like in your photo, but not nearly so pretty. Late one night, I had been up to the top of the hill to pick up some parts. As I headed back home in the pitch black night, I crested the hill and started into the turn onto the steep grade. I heard a very sharp "click". I can't describe the sound any better than that. CLICK. Now, I wasn't going very fast, due to this sharp turn at the top, but I put my foot on the brake at the sound........ No brakes...... Holy sh*t!!. Down-shift. Nothing!! Pull on the hand-brake. Nada!! Shut off the engine!! No change. In the time it has taken me to type this last bit, I had picked up speed from somewhere around 20 MPH to probably 50 or more, but the speedometer was reading ZERO!! There is a 90 degree turn onto a bridge over railway tracks about 1/4 mile down from the top. No way I was going to be able to make that turn at even this speed, and it's going faster every second. I'd either hit the bridge railing or plunge onto the tracks some 30 feet below. So I pulled the right side of the truck up against the sheer rough stone wall I was alongside, bouncing up and down and on and off of it through though a bit of a ditch and a bunch of boulders that continually fall off the face of this cliff. And finally, about 30 feet from the bridge, I had pretty much disintegrated the right side, but had slowed a lot, and really cranked the steering over and caught a big solid hunk of rock. Bang!! Stopped. Really wrecked the truck. Turns out that the little "click" I heard was the keeper pin breaking in the differential. That allowed the right axle to pull out, and off course any braking and compression braking went with it!

So, first chance you get, pull the banjo cover and have a look at the wear in there, if you haven't done it yet.

And about amazing parts finds... an aircraft historical group I belong to recently found two brand new, still in original WW II crates, Rolls Royce Merlin engines, from a farmer in Saskatchewan. The world is an amazing collection of different people, isn't it?

Take care. Project looks great. And as I recall, the truck above did not have a fender mounted spare, so I didn't damage anything you need!

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:41:50 -0800, Joe Way wrote:

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Glad it will work out for you Joe. Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

======================= Hmmm...reinforces my preference to use the postal service, but my shipment is under the limit in value, so I don't believe I'll have the same problem.

Thanks.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Way

=========================== Scary story all right. Worse than my experience in an old truck when a wheel cylinder blew out. At least in that case the e-brake and engine compression still worked, and I was able to get stopped.

My truck is a 3/4 ton, which has full-floating axles and is not subject to the same failure mode. Also, since that photo was taken all the running gear has been replaced with parts from an early '80s GM

3/4 ton, and I've been through all of it. Right now the truck looks like this:

The sheet metal should go back on early next week.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Way