DeHavilland-Canada a/c operated by the US Army. Names?

I was looking over my HobbyCraft Caribou kit & started wondering something. The Army names its a/c after American Indian,(Native American for you PC types)tribes. Am I having a brainfart or were the Beaver, Otter & Caribou never given "Army" names? How about the Cessna L-19/O-1 Bird Dog? Even the Huey & Skycrane have real Army names, but I don't recall ever hearing these a/c called by anything other than these names or their Army designations. Anyone know the scoop if they were indeed not given Army nicknames? I know the Army operated at least one P-51D & at least one T-28B(?) as chase planes, but I would take them as exceptions to not being named to Army standards.

Reply to
frank may

Often planes that already have nicknames keep them when put in service. The Beaver was also flown by the Air Force (in Europe) and the Twin Otter by the Air National Guard, so "service specific" names would not have been necessary. Also, the Beaver and Bird Dog "programs" date to before the Army/Air Force split, so that was before the Army naming system took effect. The earliest machine I know to be named under the new system was the OH-13 Sioux; while the Douglas Dakota is older, that name was bestowed by the Brits first.

Stephen Bierce

Reply to
Stephen "FPilot" Bierce

Plus in a case like the P-51 I can't see anyone wanting to change a name like Mustang.And you could say it started US service as an army plane anyhow.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

That convention applies only to rotary wing aircraft, not fixed wing types.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

If fixed wing types wern't named after native tribes, explain the Grumman Mohawk!

Reply to
Jim Atkins

I presume you're responding to me although I can't tell for sure since you didn't quote what you were replying to. In any case, I said it wasn't the *convention* to use Indian names for fixed wing types, not that it wasn't done at all.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

"Mustang" was bestowed by the British. The Army referred to the first few as "Apaches" or "Invaders" if they were A-36s.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

If the Huey you refer to is the helicopter of Vietnam fame, then the NATO reporting name is Iroquais, and probably also used by the US Army.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

Wasn't Mustan also a name chosen by the brits? They did name a few US types differently during the early war years e.g. Martlet = Wildcat, Tarpoon = Avenger, Cleveland = Heldiver Biplane. I also read somewhere that the Lightning naming was from the brits, the US Army sticking to their numbering as P-38, P-51 etc.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

I dunno about that either. Nearly every fixed wing type the Army has has an Indian tribe name, at least the Beechcraft twins & Cessna types do.

Reply to
frank may

Are the Beaver & Bird Dog that old? The Army/AF split took place in '47, didn't it?

Reply to
frank may

The Beaver and Bird Dog do NOT pre-date the USAF split from the Army.

John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com)

Reply to
John Hairell

Not true - the AH-1G Huey Cobra is not named after an Indian tribe. Try U-21 Ute, T-41 Mescalero, T-42 Cochise, and OV-1 Mohawk for fixed-wing examples.

"Beaver" , "Otter", and "Caribou" were the official names of those specific aircraft.

John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com)

Reply to
John Hairell

"Iroquois" is the official US Army name for the UH-1. "Huey" is a common-use nickname, not official.

John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com)

Reply to
John Hairell

what constitutes a slick?? no arms?

Reply to
someone

Yes, the British named a lot of our aircraft and armored vehicles. The P-40 Tomahawk and Warhawk and the C-47 Dakota come to mind. The Stuart, Honey, Lee, Grant, and Sherman tanks were all named by them also, and I'm sure I've forgotten others. I believe we picked up the practice from them, but exactly when I don't know.

Reply to
Guy N. LaFrance

Huey comes from an early designation, HU-1E, or so I've been told. Interestingly the prototype was the XH-40 according to Fahey.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Yes, no major armament.

John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com)

Reply to
John Hairell

The process of naming aircraft after Indian tribes is "generally" only helicopters, but not always. The OV-1 Mohawk is an example as is the AH-1G Cobra and the OH-6A Cayuse the other way. Hugh Mills

Reply to
HMills16
[stuff snipped]

It was called a "Huey" for years prior to the E-model coming out.

XH-40 was the designation for the prototypes and test articles. The designation for production aircraft was HU-1 (thus ""Huey"), later changed to UH-1.

Since this is a thread on US Army aircraft names, here's a short list of the more common US Army aircraft over the years, along with their official names:

L-19/O-1 Bird Dog L-20/U-6 Beaver U-1 Otter AC-1/CV-2 Caribou L-23/U-8 Serminole U-21 Ute T-41 Mescalero T-42 Cochise OH-6 Cayuse OH-13 Sioux CH-19 Chickasaw CH-21 Shawnee OH-23 Raven C-23 Sherpa CH-34 Choctaw CH-37 Mojave CH-47 Chinook CH-54 Tarhe TH-55 Osage OH-58 Kiowa TH-67 Creek UH-1 Iroquois C-12 Huron AO-1/OV-1 Mohawk AH-1G Huey Cobra UH-60 Black Hawk (NOT "Blackhawk") AH-64 Apache