US Army A4D-2N, Northrop N156F

I need a suggestion on what 1/48 kit is closet to this version (later the A4-C)and suggestions on the differences between the N156F and the F-5A. Anybody got a shot of the Army A4 drag chute installation? And did it always have Navy markings or did it wear Army at any time? Thanks, Hugh Mills snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
hmills16

Hobbycraft makes a 1/48 A-4C.

AFAIK there weren't any differences between the F-5A and the second N-156F. The first N-156F lacked guns and had non-afterburning YJ85-GE-1 engines but the second prototype was armed and had the same J85-GE-5s as the F-5A.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Actually, the No. 3 N156F was finished as a YF-5A, after being in storage. No 1. was later refitted with YJ-85-5 afterburning engines. F-5As got J85-13 engines. The F-5 also added 2 more wing stations over the 5 on the N156F. The F-5A also had stronger landing gear with wider tread tires. This may mean that the underside of the N-156F is closer to a T-38, than to an F-5A, Which may be why the N156F, like the T-38, had 2 small speed brakes on the botom, whereas the F-5A had one larger speed brake. The army N156F in the Northrop History book is No.1, however, I don't know if No.2 was used in this study, or not. Ron M

Reply to
Ron Monroe

Hugh, The A4D-2N was the designation for the A-4C prior to McNamara's rationalization of aircraft designations. I'd suggest either the Hasegawa or Hobbycraft A-4C if you want to do it in 1/48th. I remember seeing photos of the Army Skyhawk years ago. It was finished in the Navy Gull Gray & White scheme. The only differences I remember seeing were that the "NAVY" titles were replaced with "ARMY." It may have had some day-glo patches on the nose and wings, but I couldn't swear to it. HTH

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre