fire extinguisher color in us army armor

hi is it really gold leaf ( like in tamiya willys mb instruction ) ?? thx in advance

Reply to
Saskwacz

I'm not an expert in WW2 US armor, but in modern US armor the fire extinguishers are red and normally are off the shelf industrial civilian types. Rob Gronovius Visit my motor pool in the

gallery

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

I'm 41 years old, not old enough to have been in WW2 or even Vietnam, but I remember the extinguisher that my father used to carry in his car many years ago when I was a young child was already a many years old unit that was either brass or a brass coloured paint.

Hope this helps, Peter

Reply to
Bushy

in article boit4f$vn1$ snipped-for-privacy@bunyip.cc.uq.edu.au, Bushy at snipped-for-privacy@reply.to.group wrote on 11/8/03 8:09 AM:

I remember those old extinguishers. Brass with a T-handle, the whole thing attached by a clip to a wall or bulkhead. And they were filled with carbon tet. Nasty stuff but better than fire. They pumped a continuous stream; worked on both strokes of the plunger.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

I worked for a surpluss store for thirteen years (changed to a yuppy supply fru fru store after I left and went out of busniss last month after 57 years).

We had lots of WWII and later extinguishers for vehicles and buildings. The small brass extinguishers mentioned here were very common, but hardly ever polished, just kind of dull and grimy.

The big pump tank extinguishers, I think that they were called barracks extinguishers or something like that, were about two and a half ft high, pump on the front, hose on the side, were natural aluminum.

Color photos of airfield extinguishers, from hand held to the big wheeled type, show either red or yellow, including the wheels. Aircraft extinguishers were usually red or brass.

Interesting little footnote subject.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Did it look like any of these:

Longtailedlizard

"Longtailedlizard" and "Milton" both seem to have hit the nail on the head. Must have been brass, I just remember seeing it as a child and being told not to play with it.....

Peter

Reply to
Bushy