Anyone know about fire extinguisher pressure testing?

Hi all,

I've got a 5 kg carbon dioxide fire extinguisher. I'm trying to figure out if it has been pressure tested since it was new. The markings are a bit vague. Does anyone know what the pressure test mark looks like?

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Very unlikely to have been pressure tested once it was filled for the first time. Standard checking is only weighing to determine whether or not it's still full.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

We use one of the 'big name' makes which we get from RS Components. The life is

6 years from date of purchase, after which we buy new ones and put the old ones as extra standbys. Once they reach 10 years we dispose of them.

We had a spat with Chubb and the extinguisher makes over testing/checking at the factory. Chubb come once a year, but their guys ALWAYS put down something for renewal, even if we say that it is still under maker's warranty. The last time we called the maker's rep in, who wrote to Chubb and bent their ear about their service engineers. That was when we found out about the 6-year life. Chubb don't come any more....

The testing (as has already been mentioned) is by weight and not pressure, and there is no markings apart from an inspection date and initials of the inspector. If the extinguisher has a pressure gauge then that is also taken into account.

If it is something you cannot determine the date of manufacture for, then bin it and get a new one, cheaper than an insurance claim....

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Thanks for the response, Mark. From my research online, it seems that they must be tested when they are 10 years old, and every 5 years after that. The date code on this extinguisher is a bit hard to find, but I think it says "98". In this case it probably wouldn't have been tested, but it also carries a mark which consists of a circle with two letters and two numbers inside. For some reason I was under the impression that this was a pressure test mark, but I'm not sure why.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I was under the impression that the two are separate, with the hydrostatic pressure testing being rather less common.

I don't actually use it as an extinguisher. I'm using it as a source of compressed carbon dioxide. I'm just thinking about the pressure test date as I want to get it refilled.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I have stainless steel dry powder one in my workshop ..

it has a valve on it... inflated by airline ...

and an indicator that shows, it is at the right pressure ..

with this type, cant see anything going wrong with it ... it's stainless, so it wont rot ... no bulb to check ..

as long as that indicators is in the right zone... no worries ...

or does anyone else think ...me not worrying ...is not right.

All the best..mark

Reply to
mark

I'm surprised that your extinguisher has a valve for pressurising. Most extinguishers which aren't carbon dioxide use a sealed cartridge inside which is punctured when you set the extinguisher off.

If it's your home workshop, I wouldn't worry about it. Your extinguisher likely provides good enough protection. But if you employ other people in the workshop, you should get the extinguisher checked regularly, otherwise there might be the possiblity of getting sued if it failed to operate properly in an emergency.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Just had another look at the extinguisher. The mark is a circle with "TG" and "00" inside it. "TG" is on the top line and "00" is below it. To the left of the circle is a large "6". These have clearly been stamped on the cylinder after it was painted. There only indication of a date of manufacture is the number "98" stamped on the cylinder.

Any idea if the circular mark indicates a pressure test?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

NO...you mis-understand. this is a proper fire extingusher made by chubb i think .

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

I don't think I misunderstand. I'm just surprised. How old is the extinguisher? I thought almost all modern water/powder/foam extinguishers used cartridges.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

The more I look at this extinguisher, the more I think it's a pressure test mark. It probably means "Tested Good" and the year. This extinguisher has a label on it saying that it has been refurbished, and the inspection dates start at 2000, so it all fits. According to the regulations it looks like I'm okay getting it refilled without a pressure test until 2010, which is good.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

CO2 extinguishers definitely do 'need' periodic pressure testing. I can't remember the details, I'll have a look at mine later to see if I can decipher the marks. I've got one at home which is not worth refurbishing because the valve assembly is obsolete, but two at the dry-dock which are in-date & have

2 or 3 years to go before the next pressure test.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

less than eight years old.

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

I've just checked mine, all are marked with a 2-figure date for manufacturing test, eg '97'. Those which have been retested have a 3-figure date, one older one has '190' or possibly '1.90' for 1990 (maybe Jan 1990) and '200' or '2.00' for 2000 (or Feb 2000?). It seems that it's 10 years between all tests, whether new or retested. Mine were checked last month, & I remember the guy commenting that I was all right for a few years still. He was the same guy who got them tested for me in, presumably, 2000. I used to deal with someone else who mirrored Peter's experience of always managing to find something wrong, plus I'm sure on one occasion he took some away & replaced them with older ones, 'in date' but not for very long. The present one is very good, looks to minimise rather than maximise cost while still keeping things safe and legit.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Sounds like you're probably fine. But you should still get it regularly serviced if you employ other people on the premises.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy