200 bar hand pump for hydrostatic testing

Hi folks,

Does anyone know where I might get a hydraulic hand pump suitable for use with water and capable of supplying a pressure of 200 bar? Preferably one which isn't exorbitantly expensive either. I know Rothenberger make this type of pump, but as far as I can see their range only goes up to 60 bar. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

If you could use oil rather than water, there are quite a few available. Smiths Industries made/make a small hand pump assembly for access platforms and the like, and there are others. I have a GA drawing of one somewhere and a contact phone number if you cannot find it on the web.

Hydraulic oil would work as well as water, and you wouldn't have corrosion issues in the pump and valves.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

How about put a hand crank on one of these, you must have something like it over there.

Or find an old electric pressure washer with a burned motor and put the hand crank on in place of the motors cooling fan.

Reply to
andre_54005

Just out of interest; what's the application?

Bill H Derby

Reply to
Bill H

Testing the barrel of a spud gun before use :-D.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

That beast just looks exceptionally expensive!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping to use water, because although it presents a corrosion problem it's cheap and clean!

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I have no experience of this, so feel free to say I am daft. But as liquid is vritually incompressible you only need a very small volume to be pumped at high pressure to achieve your test (assuming no leaks). So if you could plug the system all bar the pressure gauge and a grease nipple, you could use a grease gun to apply quite a bit of pressure.

Just a thought.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

I have no experience of this, so feel free to say I am daft. But as liquid is vritually incompressible you only need a very small volume to be pumped at high pressure to achieve your test (assuming no leaks). So if you could plug the system all bar the pressure gauge and a grease nipple, you could use a grease gun to apply quite a bit of pressure.

Just a thought.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

An old pressure washer would probably be the ideal source for the pump components.

Reply to
moray

Electric spray guns, available for under £20, often give 1600-2000 psi. Not quite 200 bar, but close.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

On or around Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:55:34 +0100, "moray" enlightened us thusly:

quick squint at screwfix says most pressure washers are 100 bar and a few are up to 150.

Reply to
Austin Shackles