modern/futuristic US armor camo scheme

I'm taking a step away from my usual USN aircraft and delving into the armor reaam (gasp!). However, it is a futuristic sci-fi idea so the contamination won't be terminal. ; ) I'll be the first to admit I don't know squat about armor; anything with treads and a B.A.G. is a tank, and I don't have ready access to modern US armor, so I have a couple Q's, which are--1. Do we still put stars on the sides of non-UN equipment? If not, what US identifying markings do we use? 2. Does armor have a numbering system like aircraft, and is there a method to the madness, ie, is there a visible number/letter sequence on each piece that specifically identifies it as a hummer, tank, etc? My idea is for a piloted robotic thing, sort of like the Transformers, and I have no clue what category that might fall into for appropriate markings.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

Do we still put stars on the sides of non-UN equipment? If not, what US identifying markings do we use? I forgot to add--I'm thinking of doing this in jungle/forest camo, so are they also always the same green/brown/black, or does it vary, and which is the base color, green or brown? Apparently one is supposed to partially bleed through the other, but which? I realize since this is a futuristic idea there is a lot of latitude and room for artistic license, but I'd like to make it at least believable.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

'course, if you're doing a model piloted robotic thing, it could be used a lot in cities (see all Terminator movies...), in which case you could take a look at:

That would be really striking.

I've always wanted to do it on the Aliens Dropship!

Bestest, M.

Reply to
Matt Bacon

Interesting. I won't use that for this particular project, but maybe something later, thanks.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

identifying markings do we use?

We use a small 3" black star on the front and rear of the vehicle. Sometimes if the camouflage pattern has black in the same area the star would go, the star is masked off and then the black is painted. Once the mask is removed, a base color green star is left.

the madness, ie, is there a visible number/letter sequence on each piece that specifically identifies it as a hummer, tank, etc?

Yes, we use bumper numbers. The numbers represent the division, corps or regiment and battalion. The actual vehicle number is normally a letter designating the compnay (A-D, HQ, HHC, etc.) followed by a number (1 thru whatever).

Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at

Rob Gronovius

Sweet! Not only is it a unique pattern, but the text explains some of the factors considered when designing a camo pattern. Thanks! That was interesting.

Mike (ODO)

Reply to
Mike (ODO)

Black stars where? Not on anything whre I'm at.

Reply to
Steve B

Hmm, you've been in how long and never seen a 3" black star on a US Army vehicle? Really?

Now I know we didn't bother to put them on sand colored vehicles after we painted them, but every time I've received a NATO pattern factory fresh vehicle or a vehicle still in the original NATO factory paint scheme, it has had a little black star (or green as I previously stated) somewhere on the front or rear.

Look around, you'll see them.

Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at

Rob Gronovius

Then you should stated that and not implied that all vehicles have them. I've only seen about six in the 4th ID motor pools today after driving by. My bad for not checkin before I posted.

Reply to
Steve B