same scale decals interchangable?

This may sound like a dumb question, but would decals of the same scale be interchangable to any other aircraft in that scale, regardless of the
difference in size of the full scale aircraft? If not, how would you know which ones to use off a generic sheet of markings?
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci
To a degree that's right, for aircraft within the same class. On British medium sized aircraft (say an F-K Phantom) the roundel size would be 36 inch diameter with 48 inch underwing serials. Same would apply to other medium aircraft such as a Buccaneer and a Sea Vixen. Larger (bomber or transport) or smaller (trainers or light strike) classes of aircraft would specify different sizes.
Chek - Change' boos' to 'bos' in address to email directly

your
long to

Its well worth investigating the various sheets put out by the decal companies especially those that cater for national markings only. These sheets normally ident the aircraft they are applicable to. The best example of this approach was by Modeldecal and their sheets of British Roundels.
Cheers Kev
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.mil.nav (Disco -- FlyNavy) wrote:

Generally, yes, but there are two problems. First, you will have to determine if insignia size is different for aircraft of different sizes. This is often the case. The better generic sheeets indicate the insgnia diameter (or other measurement) so that, working with references, you can figure out which ones to use with a particular type.
The second issue is for large or body-conforming decals designed for a particular kit (say, 1/72 Airfix Bf 109E). They may or may not fit the Academy kit of the same subject in the same scale, because the kits themselves may differ significantly. The same problem comes up with Falcon clear vax canpies, BTW--they might not fit the kit you have if not specifically designed for same.
Mark Schynert
<Generally, yes, but there are two problems. First, you will have to determine if insignia size is different for aircraft of different sizes--this is often the case. The better generic sheeets indicate the insgnia diameter (or other measurement) so that, working with references, you can figure out which ones to use with a particular type>
That's the part I was wondering about. For instance, I noticed a 1/48 BUFF had some pretty small insignia (relative to the aircraft size), which looked exactly the same size as a 1/48 Phantom, and there's a significant difference in size of the planes. Basically I was wondering if I hang onto unused sections of decal sheets, can I arbitrarily put them on another plane of the same scale, but apparently not. Also, what primarily brought this up in my mind was putting the markings of country 'A' on aircraft of country 'B', such as Japanese markings on a Stuka or 109, Russian on a Phantom, etc, etc., for "what-ifs".
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

If you a Ju 87A it wouldn't be "what if" as Japan had one for evaluation purposes, IIRC.
Tom

determine
often
other
ones to

BUFF had

difference
the
my
such
for
your
long to

Hi Disco,
If its for "what if models" does it really matter, IMHO if it looks right, then it will do.
Although I only build 1/48 planes now I still keep the 1/72 generic decals I bought years ago, after all a 48" roundel in 1/72 is the same as a 32" roundel in 1/48, and the generic sets seem more readily available in 1/72 than 1/48 for some obscure reason.
Happy modelling Ant

Ah, what kit is that? Eager anticipation,
The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Revellogram I would imagine. Saw it about four years ago at the local show/swap. No idea which version (air farce not my gig). I see them fairly regularly at Hobby Lobby. I can take a look if yer interested.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Correct, except that it's 1/72, not that other scale. :-)
Tom

Well, that kit is 1/72. Was there another aircraft with a BUFF appelation? I got a couple of the Revell's; hope I get to build one soon! Cheers,
The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Ok, my bad, I would have bet parts of my anatomy it was 1/48. If that really was 1/72 as big as it was, then the 1/48 would be just too scary. As I recall, it was pushing 30 inches in wingspan
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci
Disco -- FlyNavy wrote:

Sounds about right. I've had two of them over the years.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Disco -- FlyNavy wrote:

If you're mixing decals from the kit with aftermarket sheets you might encounter opacity differences as well as character stroke thicknesses.
Bill Banaszak, MFE