AOL not sending post?

I read all the new post on RMS yesterday and today there wern't any. Tonight i
see 6. Is it just me or is AOL filtering newsgroups? They filter everything
else which in some cases is good but this if thats what they are doing, is
going to far. There is for example a re: to a post by modlehawk I didn't see
the orginal post. One of many originals i keep missing.
Reply to
ARMDCAV
There is a reason (many reasons) so many people don't like aol. They tend to practice random censorship.
Chris
Reply to
Chris C.
After observing what AOL do (from outside) for a couple of decades, I'd see it more as their usual random incompetence.
I doubt they are capable of the cognitive levels required to attempt censorship, even at the simple level of book-burning.
Cheers, Gary B-)
Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt
AOL has a history of filtering most *everything*. That is why they are technically considered to be a "content provider", as opposed to a true ISP.
Reply to
Greg Heilers
And Mad-Modeller opened up and revealed to the world news: snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com:
Bill,
Ouch, that's bad, and just PLAIN wrong. Not to mention the way that they harass a person into staying with the "family."
I'm sorry but I don't think that anyone really needs them to "hold" their hand and "guide" them through the "wild and untamed" relam of the Internet. . .
IF it was me I'd have sent them a bill for the removal service, and let THEM pay.
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy
IIRC Aohell stop you from networking your machines etc so you cant share a line.
never heard anything good about them, its the usual case of big tv ads to get people saying wow look how good they must be.
Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales
And "Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales" opened up and revealed to the world news:CWlFd.80378$ snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk:
Julian,
I'm not sure but I think that one can now network their various boxes. As I seem to recall one of my teachers talking about doing just that when I was going to school down in Fl for my MCSE.
I couildn't for the life of me and STILL can't understand how OR why someone who has their MSCE would maintain an AOheLl account. BUT a few of them did. I mean knowing what they know, WHY would any self-respecting MSCE keep an account with a bunch of lying two-faced, harassing SOBs, BUT they do.
Oh, here's another one of AOheLls commericals that I just "love." It's the one where everyone is saying what they'd "love" to happen to their computers, and how AOheLl is the best thing to come down the pike since white bread. . .
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy
if it's advertised on tv or spammed in usenet, it's shit! -edward's law #39
Some people have free AOL accounts through their jobs. I'd still pay for a real ISP though...
Reply to
Al Superczynski
And Al Superczynski opened up and revealed to the world news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:
Al,
This is true, but I've gotta agree with you in that I'd also still pay for an account with a real ISP.
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy
[SNIP]
Of _course_ they do... Who else can they go to and ask for help?
After all, MCSE stands for "Must Consult Someone Else."
Cheers, Gary B-)
Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt
Ok, call me dumb, but what's the difference?
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy
Reply to
TimeTraveler658
Dumb
Quite a lot, although i guess the terms vary dep. where you are.
Sorry, cant help further dumb
;-)
Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales
And snipped-for-privacy@aol.comspam (TimeTraveler658) opened up and revealed to the world news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m29.aol.com:
AOheLl is an online service because they repackage the Internet into what THEY think that people want/need/should have access to. As well as (at least in the early days) restricted ones choice of software to THEIR software. Whereas with an ISP the customer can choose what software they want to use, and have full (although some ISPs can and do "filter" some content) access to the Internet.
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy
And "Gary R. Schmidt" opened up and revealed to the world news:cQtFd.4505$ snipped-for-privacy@nasal.pacific.net.au:
Gary,
That's a good one, and it's right up there with:
Uncle Sam Ain't Released me Yet
Or
Yes My Retarded Ass Signed Up
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy
And snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) opened up and revealed to the world news:jWEFd.716032$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:
e,
I've had to unplug my Grandmother's TV because unfortunatly thanks to her Alzheimer's she can't tell what's real and what isn't on TV anymore. That and here Poughkeepsie pretty much the only news we get on TV is about what's happening down in the City. So there's no sense in her worrying about something that for the most part doesn't apply to us.
We spend our day sitting at the dining room table she working on her word search puzzles, me helping her every now and then. And me working on my models, cooking our meals, surfing the Net, etc.
TV is ok, and has it's place, but sadly we as a nation spend WAY too much time watching it. We need to learn how to unplug it and push it way and do something else. Although as "electronic babysitters" go a TV is way and BY far a MUCH better "electronic babysitter" then a computer with Net access. Maybe IF more parents felt that way there'd be a LOT less trolls in the NGs.
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy
probably. too many kids use tv as roll models and for moral lessons. i blame that on the decline of civility, the first sign a civilization is dying. when me generation ethics become the norm, civilization is heded for the toilet. kids have no manners, no ability to wait and little reason to respect the images they see. i'm not blameless, now that i live alone i use tv for background. while i model or play with my pc. you probably know i post and listen to much music...tv is on with the sound off when i encode and record. that might be a bad sign.... "i don't think it's funny no more, crackin' up, like a worn out shoe." -joe jackson
I used AOL when I first got online, mostly because a local friend of mine had it and so I was already familiar with it. I got hooked up with a real ISP in less than a year...
Reply to
Al Superczynski
Yes, but neither of those are empirical truths. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Empirical" is used here in the philosophical sense of "holds true for the realm of human experience."
Cheers, Gary B-)
Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt
i was lucky, my neighbor started neighbor net by running a cable from his 3rd floor apt to mine. he was an old hand and gave me the scoop on isp's. we used earthlink then. they were great, but now they're an assholeonline wannabe.