the need to read

Yes, I'm a newbe to CAD, but I have a customer that wants to email
me his blueprints, and I need a program that will read them. He asked
me if I had a cad program, I said no and he said to get one. These
are dawings of appartment projects and houses.
1. Can I buy a program that will read any cad drawing? You know the
different vendors..
2. Please respond to this by email so I can see it today maybe??? I
can't get to newsgroups at work. (that's probably a goodthing if they
want me to work ;} Please reply to ( and post here, I'll check it
tonight) to snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
needless to say remome the nospam. I haven't had a chance to lurk,
I'm sorry to jump right in.
3. I may post this in multiple groups, so forgive me again.
Regards,
Ron
Reply to
ronnospamholland
Well, I did that and the email was still bounced!
Anyway, assuming you come back here...
Reply to
Brian Salt
You're kidding, right? Oh, I see you're in the UK. Maybe not.
Reply to
CW
No, not kidding, never worked with any of it really!! I'm an x-photographer (no not rated) and use photoshop and the like but nothing with straight lines and wall thicknesses etc, but am very good at reading a real set of blueprints, so I figure I can look on the compluter screen instead of the plans. Just trying to get started and need a program that will read the software that most people in the 'residential drawing industry' would use. Autocad sounds about right?? BTW, I didn't know that Texas was in the UK, but most of us live in trailers and can't afford a radio yet ;] One guy got arrested last week for messing up the foundation of one of his neighbors abodes, it seems he let the air out of one of the tires....... Regards, Ron
Reply to
ronnospamholland
I mispelled it.. I meant for you to remove the word nospam from the email address. Anyway an autocad reader probably what I need. Anyone know of any EASY, good and cheap ones? just post em here. Regards, Ron
Reply to
ronnospamholland
I did remove nospam.
Go to the web site that I quoted and download Volo View.
Reply to
Brian Salt
Yeh, well, we'll let that one pass - or maybe not!
Presumably 'earthlink' is from somewhere out there in Star Trek land :-)
Reply to
Brian Salt
Did you happen to notice that I was responding to Brian? As to your question, first determine what format the files are in. If in DWG, do as Brian recommends and download Volo View or, if you want the ability to do more than just view the drawings, look at Intellicad.
Reply to
CW
The US was founded (mostly) by Englishmen that new thaey could do it better.
Reply to
CW
OK--Thanks. It is hard to say which format I'll need to read, as I have over 60 customers, 20 active and 3 of them have started to send out blueprints this way. So, the rest will follow suit soon. However, in the mean time, I just went and picked up a set of prints so this project is quoted. I have downloaded both programs that you recommended, and will not install until the need arises again and I can see the file extension on the attachment they send me! Thanks for your help. Regards, Ron
Reply to
ronnospamholland
I replied that I downloaded VoloView, but I was simply in the process. When I got to the download site, they posted a note saying Volo View would no longer be available as of May 1, but offered a substitute. I downloaded that, I guess new is good. Can't buck change if you don't know what the change is ;} Again, thanks for your help. Ron
Reply to
ronnospamholland
I provided an email address in the body of the letter with 'nospam' inserted, but mispelled something in nospam in THAT address, and that was the proper email address to reply to, not the automatic 'reply to' that I have in the setup. I used to be inendated with email till I changed the default reply -even with no spam in it- so something that couldn't work with no spam removed!!
Reply to
ronnospamholland