BATF flop

While I can't substantiate the veracity of this post, still it's real funny. And if true, could be a real boost for the good guys (us). I don't have (didn't try to obtain) permission so the author for now will remain anonymous.

steve

> Subject: [AR] Gave me a good laugh... > > Recall that back in October we heard that the ATFE had purchased some J350s > > and G80s for "testing" and possibly trying to shoot down airborne targets? > > ATF, through the USAF, hired an independent contractor to conduct > > some tests. ATF purchased a number of J350, G80s and other motors > > for these tests. They also purchased some kits from at least 2 > > manufacturers. The tests, being conducted here in Utah (off I80, > > north of mile marker 60) have been taking place most of November through last week. > > Supposedly, they affixed a launcher in the back of a van and were launching > > from the van. As to why, we can only speculate. They also had

numerous reloads in the same van while launching. One of the J350s

> catoed and ignited the rest, burning the van to the ground. (It did not blow up, it > > just burned up.) So much for hired experts who supposedly should know better.
Reply to
default

As Mr. Foreman would say on "That 70's Show", "Eric you D*MB*SS".

funny. And if true,

Reply to
J MI

Urban Legends confirm what we already believe. This smells like an urban legend. The story confirms everything we've ever thought about the BATFE.

Of course, every once in a while, an urban legend may be based in fact.

One can only hope, and in hoping, hope that no one was hurt.

Perhaps we should send this to the various Urban Legend verification pages to see what they can make of it. If you want to spread an urban legend, that's a good place to start, especially if it will be difficult to either prove or disprove.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

While it does sound too good to be true, I've heard that it comes from a very reliable source who is apparently in a position to know.

I'd give just about anything to see a video of this "testing" turn up on "America's Funniest Home Videos" or "Stupid Behavior Caught On Tape".

Reply to
RayDunakin

And off to Snopes.com it goes.....

RM

zoot wrote:

Reply to
Don Posey

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RayDunakin) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m23.aol.com:

I also heard that this information comes from a "very reliable source." I've also heard that line in a few urban legends too.

This information was told word-of-mouth to me about five weeks ago, and I gave my word (as did everyone else that was present) not to post any information about this online. I don't know who or where the information came from either, but apparently the person "inside" wishes to remain anonymous because of his or her possition.

I should add the other information that I heard that wasn't in the original post. Apparently the van that they were using was a rental van (this might be useful information for an investigation). Also, the rail that was purchased to launch from the van was too long, so it had to be cut to fit into the van, further adding to launch instability.

If anyone recalls the research company hired for this project, they have a rather bad record don't they?

Reply to
BrundlFly

Can someone validate this?

~ Duane Phillips.

funny. And if true,

Reply to
Duane Phillips

Those of us in the back channel have heard the direct facts on this story for a month.

Without confirming or denying anything troll steve bloom posts, it was keystone BATFE agents supreme!!!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

If Steve Bloom issues a FORMAL apology to me in email for all the crappy shit he has said about me, libelous shit, then I will post the few facts that have leaked public against the will of the CLASSIFIED program.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

ATFE Conducts Tests To "Prove" High Power Rockets Are Dangerous To Commercial Aircraft (November 5, 2003)

at

:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

The entire story (from the alleged purchases on) has always smelled of urban legend to me.

I did, however, hear from a very reliable source that the FAA is look> Urban Legends confirm what we already believe. This smells like an

Reply to
Alex Mericas

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Don't post actual facts. The pointless speculation was amusing coming from typical trolls!

[facts snipped of course]
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Perhaps these are the same chickens used to test bird strikes on Fighter aircraft canopies.

If it can break an F-16 canopy when frozen, what logical reason would there be that a frozen chicken couldn't bring down a 747. ;-)

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

T'is true, they do really fire chickens into the engines to simualte a bird getting sucked into the intake. I've seen test videos on the disovery channel. This is a standard test that is performed on all turbofan engines.

Reply to
Brian McDermott

what do the animal rights activists have to say about that?

- iz

Brian McDermott wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Not anymore, they don't. PETA whined too much about this, so now they test on real, live crewmen:

BB

Is that Mavis who heard it from her cousin at the beauty shop, who is married to the truck maintenance mechanic, who works for farmer Jones? I know some industry guys who would pay a lot more than $100 for more effective anti aircraft warheads. I think Kurt should investigate.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Yes. Chicken you guys will try to f*ck up somethig good we have in process right now.

And not care.

And being in some other state, not be affected very much.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

They're next on the list. Apparently they're happy with the chickens being at the top!

:)

Joel.phx

My favorite test is fan blade separation/containment.

Reply to
Joel Corwith