BATF flop

Anonymous

legend to me.<

The purchases were real. I know one of the dealers involved.

As to the cato and fire - well, it looks like they used the red delay liners!

Reply to
Bruce Kirchner

The tests are not over yet. I know of a vendor in Ohio that just this week sent another large batch of G80 motors via Fedex priority air to the Air Force. This batch went to the Air Force Research Lab (AFRL), Explosive Operations Group at Tyndall AFB in Florida. The same vendor had also sent a large batch of G80 motors to the Utah Test and Training Range (UTTR), Oasis Complex near Wendover, Utah earlier in November.

It is possible they will continue to conduct tests until they acheive the results THEY desire.

BTW - the vendor was NOT Magnum.

John

Reply to
John G 712

An agency also bought motors from USR.

Good enough for the government but not for TRA :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

So _that's_ where all the LMR motors are going! No wonder there's still a shortage: it _is_ the BATF's fault (just not the way people were saying) - they've talked the Air Force into buying up all the G80's...

(What a waste! The air force doesn't really need certified motors just to make movies pretending to be terrorists...)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Isn't it illegal to ship motors by air?? Or is FedEx a special case?

Why would he sell motors to people who are trying to us them to screw the hobby? No wonder Duane can't get G motors in Utah, they're all being sold to the enemy!

I'm happy to say our local vendor refused to sell to them, stating that the motors were not going to be used for their intended purpose.

Reply to
RayDunakin

It's now legal to ship motors via Cargo Air, Due a change in the DOT-E 10996

Fed Ex is accepting hasmat air shipments.

The DOT is helping while the ATF is not.

/ArtU

Reply to
ArtU

Not if you meet certain requirements, have the hazmat training to fill out all of the required documents, and are willing to pay the big bucks for the service. In this particular case it helps that the Air Force arranged the pick-up.

The vendor in question struggled with that very same question. He did not want to be like the person who sells the rope to the hangman for his own hanging. I know he contacted Aerotech and a couple of other groups (although not NAR or TRA) before he sold the motors. I believe he also contacted Sen. Enzi's office.

Two things became clear out of these discussions:

1) If the the motors are as safe as we believe them to be, and their use as a weapon is as impractical as we know it to be, then openly selling them should pose no problem. Not selling them on the other hand because of some lame excuse begins to look suspicious, especially when dealers all over the country begin using the same excuse. It makes the industry look like it is conspiring to hide something. 2) Just because some vendors refuse to sell to them it would not stop them from ultimately acquiring the motors.

John

Reply to
John G 712

Ah! A brilliant BATFE plan!

Instead of slowly regulating us out of existence, BATFE is just going to use taxpayer dollars to buy up all the motors! Hobby rocketry will suffer a massive exodus and there won't be enough people left to mount another lawsuit or legislative campaign.

Then, no doubt, they'll recoup their costs by selling the motors to our good friends the rebels in East Nowhere who in turn will make money for their cause by reselling the motors to Al Quaida who in turn shoot them at US planes, thereby giving BATFE the excuse they need to finally just outlaw hobby rocketry once and for all. And then BATFE will spend more taxpayer dollars denying all culpability.

So the folks at BATFE headquarters HAVE been reading old Rube Goldberg cartoons!

+McG+
Reply to
Kenneth C. McGoffin

don't forget the tanks, reputed accuracy at 5 miles !

Ashcroft letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee

Wickman rebuttals to Ashcroft

Wickman rebuttal to Schumer and Lautenberg

Enzi challenge to Ashcroft

[ no responses to date from Ashcroft, Schumen or Lautenberg ]

- iz

Kenneth C. McGoff> Ah! A brilliant BATFE plan!

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Which frozen chickens? The ones from the store or the agents of ATFE?

superman

Scott D. Hansen wrote:

Reply to
dbartley

Which frozen chickens? The kind you buy at the store or the agents of BATFE?

superman

Scott D. Hansen wrote:

Reply to
superman

Art U. wrote:

Reply to
RayDunakin

Don't tell Kurt. You know how he gets. ; )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

This is a real video caught by another planes' survelance gear, that was being tested at the time of the incident. Believe it or not, the man LIVED. His cranial (the thing that non-Navy call a two-piece helmet with attached sound attenuators) was sucked off, his head was cut by an airflow/stiffening vane. He also had other injuries. But IIRC, it was his FLASHLIGHT and the cranial (a.k.a. brainbucket) that saved his butt. These items went through the engine and FODded it, resulting in engine failure.

(FOD = foreign object damage).

This guy became the unwitting posterboy for live engine safety.

~ Duane Phillips.

Reply to
Duane Phillips

Are you kidding? Best chickens are dead chickens...then they are ready for fryin' up!

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

I think they fire THEM into the engine intake too, to simulate that contingency.

So where do we get Chicken Gun Users Permits?

Bob Kaplow

superman wrote in news:vu5gevdpg4uk15 @corp.supernews.com:

If it was France, it must be a canard...

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens