OT: Short stop in Chicago

A friend of mine will be passing thru Chicago in about 2 weeks, via Amtrak. She'll have about 5 hours to kill. Wants to know where to get the best eats reasonably close to station. Ribs? Pizza? Whatever?

Also, any sights close that are in the "must see" catagory?

michael

Reply to
michael

Go to Chowhound.com and check out their Chicago board. I researched a bunch of restaurants before my last trip to Chicago and every recomendation was exceptional. My personal rec would be to jump on a train and go to either Greek Town or Little Italy for a nice stroll and good food, both a few blocks from the UIC train stop. Al's #1 Italian Beef is excellent IMHO.

Andy

Reply to
UM Racer

Thanks, Andy.

UM Racer wrote:

Reply to
michael

How about the Field Museum or the Shedd Acquarium. Fairly close by bus or taxi. The MacCormack (sic?) museum of industry and science is a must see too but in five hours (?) not likely. DL

Reply to
Gunluvver2

All comments assume she arrives at Union Station around Jackson and Canal.

If she gets there after 21:00, she should NOT go west on foot and she should be careful even if she goes by cab. If she gets there on a weekday, no matter what time, she should not go very far from the downtown area, traffic is incredible.

There are lots of restaurants near the station of varying quality, so many that she should check out a guide.

There are LOTS of good restaurants in Greek town (Halstead and Harrison) and little Italy (Taylor west of Halstead) but the neighborhoods are less than elegant (much less).

If she wants all things hip check out:

The Field Museum of Natural History is world class and pretty close. If she goes there she should plan to stay there the whole time. It's that impressive.

Since we're talking about a woman I should mention that the Magnificient Mile (Michigan Avenue north of the Chicago river, roughly Wacker drive) and Oak Street is a world class shopping area with just about any high-end store you can think of including Water Tower Place and 900 N. Michigan (VERY high class malls) and lots of restaurants. It's only about a 15 - 20 minute cab ride from the station. Be prepared to spend a lot.

A good link seems to be

A word to the wise - stay out of trouble. The Chicago police answer to no one (see:

They are untouchable in Illinois and bordering states, they know it, and they act accordingly. The Federal Government went after corrupt judges (operation Greylord) but even they won't touch the Chicago PD.

michael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hitechnetworks.net:

Reply to
Dev Null

I doubt the high end shopping will have any attraction for her. This one gets her hands dirty. Do they have a word for an adult tomboy?

I'll pass this along, thanks.

michael

Reply to
michael

Maybe the Cubs will be in town.

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Here is an excerpt from a reply she sent me:

Hmmm...I see...looks like I should be heading SOUTH of the Chicago River, then. I don't suppose there'd be any Salvage yards close to the downtown area??? Architectural or Automotive? The Museum sounds intriguing, but I know better...I'd miss my train, for sure!

Salvage yards and thrift stores are her idea of going shopping. I had mentioned Wrigley Field, also, even though I quit following baseball when they had the strike. Response was sorta neutral.

She is grateful for all suggestions, though.

michael

Reply to
michael

Is Maxwell street still a happening?

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

No mayor daley got rid of it so his buddies could build more badly needed condos.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
AZOTIC