OT silver gold platinum

I'd like to run a simple informal survey.

How many people got hit with non-authorized charges on their credit cards this holiday season.

I'll start off the bidding with $900 charged from the electric utility that I don't even have an account with. (?)

Master Card backed it off without a question.

But it got me to wondering...

Reply to
Richard

Not so far but your post caused me to check both my credit card and debit accounts.

I hope someone questions the person connected with the utility account.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I called and asked them about it but got stonewalled.

Who knows...

Reply to
Richard

That makes me glad I've never had a credit card. I had a utility try to hit me for over $1000 one time, claiming that I had not paid an outstanding bill at a house I had never seen. let alone lived at. They threatened to shut off my service if I didn't pay. I finally convinced them that I didn't live at two addresses at the same time.

Having two deadbeats with your first & last name didn't help.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Someone apparently got hold of my debit card number and charged a bunch of small items that totalled about $500 over a period of about

10 days. I was tipped off when one of the airlines called and asked if I was buying a ticket from Guadalajara to Amsterdam. I told the agent that if I was buying a ticket it would be to, not from, Guadalajara.

No other problems so far, other than having to spend an hour at my bank flagging the bogus charges. I do keep the account the debit card is attached to isolated from our other accounts, and never keep more than I can afford to have in dispute in the account.

The bank manager told me, based only on what she's seen locally, that there seemed to be an uptick in CC and debit card fraud recently.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I had a story seemingly just out of movie "Idiocracy". I subscribed to a sprint "wireless broadband" service 2 months ago. Supplied a credit card also.

Today out of the blue I received a email notice from them that my account was delinquent and they are about to refer me to a collection agency and that the sky is falling.

The email did not provide any phone number and said "dial *4 on your sprint phone". Which I never had.

So I called them. Asked how come I never received any bills. Turns out that "I was not set up for billing".

Reply to
Ignoramus804