OT - strap on headlamp hack

The black and yellow strap on head lamps from harbor Freight. On sale for $2.19, at the moment. I screw the lens off, pull the bulb out. Use a small screw driver to break the reflector out.

Then, I put in a Nite Ize mini mag LED conversion, with the reflector provided for Mini Mags. The result is a LED head lamp that runs on AA cells, lasts a long time on batteries, and bright enough to be useful. Unlike the provided bulbs, never blows a filament.

TinyURL was created! The following URL:

de-Replacement-Flashlight/dp/B0009IQQ8S/ ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1334840164&s r=1-5

has a length of 125 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which has a length of 26 characters:

Hope that's enlightening, to someone.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or, for a lot less effort and a little more money:

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

I have a couple of those. They're ok but they don't swivel and for close work they are aimed too high. Art

Reply to
Artemus

I had the same problem with the LED lighting in the Lowes cap I got for Christmas a few years ago. Worked good for stuff at arms length or farther but up close was WAY to high. I mentioned this to a couple of friends who "know people" at Lowes. What did they do? New versions now have two LEDs under the rim pointed so they work close in. Makes it MUCH easier to tie hooks on at night... Last week I mentioned that it would be nice if they also had a couple in the back that flashed red. Currently I just clip a light on the back so I'm more visible while walking at night...

Reply to
Steve W.

Triple A batteries don't last any where near as long. And, it takes three AAA cells. The light doesn't adjust up and down. And the circuit doesn't have the Joule Thief that the Nite Ize does.

.

Or, for a lot less effort and a little more money:

David

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They eat smaller batteries, used in sets of 3.

.

I have a couple of those. They're ok but they don't swivel and for close work they are aimed too high. Art

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I love the Gordons, but I always wished they'd put in an LED kit.

I love my NiteIze minimag 2AA conversion, too.

Cool. I may do that to one of my Gordons, too. Hmm, I wonder if I could mod one of the 9-LED heads from the freebie flashlights... (Rats! They're 3AAA, or 4.5v vs 3v.)

Yes, thank you. I see lots of V E R Y pricy LED headlamps around, but I don't need 3W worth of LED for most of my headlamp work. (Replacing kitchen faucets and tracing wiring doesn't have much of a mega-lumen requirement.)

I have one of the Winchesters which looks just like that and they truly suck. Bad switches (intermittent), not enough swivel, etc.

-- That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met, you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I love the Gordons, but I always wished they'd put in an LED kit.

CY: Now's your chance!

I love my NiteIze minimag 2AA conversion, too.

CY: The Nite Ize doesn't focuss a spot for distance, but makes up for that in dependable light, and not blowing bulb at bad moments.

Cool. I may do that to one of my Gordons, too. Hmm, I wonder if I could mod one of the 9-LED heads from the freebie flashlights... (Rats! They're 3AAA, or 4.5v vs 3v.)

CY: Might work on three AA cells, if you had a current limiting resistor.

Yes, thank you. I see lots of V E R Y pricy LED headlamps around, but I don't need 3W worth of LED for most of my headlamp work. (Replacing kitchen faucets and tracing wiring doesn't have much of a mega-lumen requirement.)

CY: Sometimes, too much light is just as bad.

I have one of the Winchesters which looks just like that and they truly suck. Bad switches (intermittent), not enough swivel, etc.

CY: Oops, not good.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon