OT: ultra durable utility knife blades

I use snap-off utility knife blades a lot. My current set of blades is amazing (otherwise I wouldn't be writing about it). One use is for cutting a group of paper towels into quarter sections. With my last set of blades, the point had to be snapped off after three or four uses. The current blade is like one of those Ginsu knives advertised on TV, except for real. It's a Stanley # 11-301 with "ENGLAND" stamped into the blade. I vaguely recall having them before, but don't recall the extreme performance. The utility knife I used last was a Rubbermaid abortion, so maybe I just got used to ultracheap blades (whatever blades that came with it).

Have fun.

Reply to
John Doe

I've got a little plastic handled 360 grit diamond sharpener shaped like a flat file with an abrasive surface about 3/4" wide by 2" long. A few strokes from it will make a utility knife blade almost as good as new again. I can't remember the last time I changed a blade.

But my three utility knives (kitchen drawer, workshop and garage) are used only a couple of time a week, so YMMV.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I carry a Stanley 10-049 utility knife with me as a second pocketknife. It's got a replaceable locking blade, and there are two blades that are supplied for it. One is a less sharp utility type blade, while the other is more of a stout razor blade (11-041) that's my personal preference (okay, I stuck one in my hand yesterday!) but I go through a blade ever few days using it for all sorts of applications. The blade that comes with the knife is the utility blade, and I put the sharper blade on it right away.

Reply to
Carl McIver

What is it called and where is it sold?

Reply to
John Doe

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 08:42:58 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, John Doe quickly quoth:

DMT is the best, IMHO. I picked some up in June off eBay:

Diamond mini-hones are handier than toilet paper at times. (Try it, Tawm.) -- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ----

Reply to
Larry Jaques