OT: Uniden TRU-8885 cordless phone repair

Uniden TRU-8885. Great 5.8gig phone system, but I noticed after two years or so, the ringer volume on the handsets was starting to degrade. One handset, so low I could barely hear it. Fearing the driver for the speaker was failing, or that I had dropped it one too many times, I dissassembled the handset to test. Hmmm; mylar 1" dia speaker with a tiny potted board where the two wires connect. With nothing to loose, I connected a 2" PC speaker to the board. Sound! Loud! In fooling with the mylar speaker, I noticed if I touched the plastic film covering the face, the volume increased slightly. I pried up on the film slightly with and Xacto blade tip, and the speaker came on, sounding halfway normal now. Repair: I poked a hole into the film covering, and stuck a 1/2" piece of round toothpick between the film and speaker face. The volume returned to normal, if a little buzzy. Better than nothing. I do so love being handy....:) JR Dweller in the cellar

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

(...)

Yup. Did a casual repair on my new cell phone.

Darned receiver volume was too low even when turned up 'all the way'. Disassembled the earpiece and opened up a large hole in the plastic in front of the speaker using my drill press.

Deburred and cleaned out the pSwarf. Buttoned everything back up. Now 'max' volume is almost painfully loud.

I'm happy.

--Winston

pSwarf: 1) Plastic bits resulting from machining. 2) A pale imitation of real Swarf.

Reply to
Winston