OT - VERY slow small tire leak

Larry Jaques wrote:

I had a problem with one of my wheeled generators like that. 4 X 10 tires, Two piece rim, Stripped it down, installed a new tube with slime in it, thin layer of silicone between the rim halves. bead sealer on the tire. Result, still leaked down in about a month !!!
Solution, bought solid 16" replacements and added a taller front support. Made the problem go away and made it a lot easier on my back to work on that thing.
--
Steve W.

Maybe you pinched the tube?
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Nope. I pulled it apart thinking that and found nothing. I tossed the inflated tube in the tank and stuck a bowl over it. No bubbles BUT you could see a few areas over the surface develop a skin of air. After 2 days the bowl had a bunch of air in it. It acted like the tube was made from soaker hose !
--
Steve W.

On 05/16/2016 10:07 PM, Steve W. wrote: ...

It took at least three tries to get a brand new small tire tube that wasn't defective from a local dealer--they'd bought a bunch of cheap Chinese crap that had those kinds of defects either in the tube itself or the stem wasn't sealed at the junction or the like...were giving them away until they were gone; just had to keep trying 'til found one that would hold air...like I think somebody else mentioned, I bought a couple of the HF mounted tires as were cheaper than just a "name brand" tube and moved the tubes to the target...they've held so far (couple months).

I wonder if Slime would fix a porous inner tube if you coated the inside by rolling up the tube before reinstalling the valve stem, then inflated it outside the tire to stretch open the holes and bubble-test it.
A long-lasting bubble-blowing soap is Dawn or Joy plus glycerin or corn syrup. --jsw
On 05/17/2016 8:45 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I've had no success with it on anything I've ever tried...perhaps it's the execution on my part but it's useless endeavor afaict.
I'd think it likely that for the ones like these that were so full of defects that they would just continue to fail with time so frequently not worth the effort.
While the HF are also (I presume) Chinese, apparently they have enough buying power to at least get something functional originally. There one also has the bin full to pick from and they've been there inflated for a while so one can avoid the initial leakers pretty easily...

On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 9:44:57 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

corn syrup? I will have to try that.
Dan
On 05/17/2016 2:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

Some of the kiddies' bubble-soap works, too...

Did the tubes get hot ? Maybe some free carbon turned into CO2 and left tiny holes. Tires are full of carbon (makes the blond rubber black) and now the man made neoprene uses it to be black as well. Might be a poor version of material that wasn't 'cooked' hot enough or long enough.
I had some tires that went brittle at the flex area. The ply was almost a zero.
Martin
On 5/16/2016 10:07 PM, Steve W. wrote:

Martin Eastburn wrote:

Don't know. They didn't appear to be brittle or rough.
--
Steve W.

The outside tire was brittle. Often the tubes leak. I have 4 tires on an old mower that didn't hold up the winter. Likely compression and and slow leak in the rim bead area and once broken, there they went. Now bent and doesn't rebound if weight is lifted. Rats. Tubes now or trash.
Martin
On 5/19/2016 4:16 AM, Steve W. wrote:

On 5/15/2016 12:51 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I'd bet on a rim leak, wire brush the tire/rim interface and apply a bit of sealer before reseating the tire.

Rim leaks show up well if you spray a little soap solution on the horizontal tire. Tiny bubbles stay where they form instead of being lost in a larger pool.
Some laundry and dishwasher detergents intentionally don't form long-lasting bubbles. http://www.loadsfundraising.com/fundraising/2015/01/laundry-detergent-foam-important/
Those meant for washing cars or dishes by hand may serve better to reveal tire leaks. I keep a spray bottle of ~10% Simple Green near the outdoor hose and have had good results with it on leaky tires. Its bubbles aren't so persistent that I can't clear off the inevitable ones from applying it.
--jsw
On 5/16/2016 9:16 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

A product called "Leak-Tec" is *MAGIC*!!! You can get it at a welding supply.It's one of those few products that are a lifetime find.

Is there a magic spray-on "Leak-Fix" for bad welds? --jsw
On Tue, 17 May 2016 06:56:04 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Hey, I could use some of that myself.
--
Education is that which remains when one has
forgotten everything he learned in school.
On 5/17/2016 6:56 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

It's often used for finding leaks in welding gas stuff.