OT: Virus software

I have a little different slant on this question.

Our ISP has a really excellent spam and virus blocking service called "Mail Armory". We haven't seen a single virus in the past couple of years since they started the service.

Why do we need any kind of protection? We live in Maine. All 7th graders (including my daughter) get laptops. We figure that is a prime source of possible infection.

We run the 2001 version of Norton Systemworks, which has been nagging us that it's auto update is about to run out. It seemed pretty obvious that resubscribing to Norton was the thing to do until I started reading reviews on Amazon. A fair number of them (and comments on newsgroups) complain of significant problems during upgrade, and warn that you shouldn't do it. One specifically discussed upgrading from Systemworks 2001 to 2003 with problems, exactly what my situation is. Just upgrading the virus program also seems to have serious problems.

So what is a good path here? We had McAffee a few years ago and hated it due to *extremely* long downloads for new virus updates. We have liked Norton much better, although neither has anything that fits the description of customer service and support. Opinions welcome.

Thanks, Steve Smith

Reply to
Steve Smith

I use FREE AVG antivirus

we also use Free Zone Alarm Firewall

There are other steps I take as well to eliminate the spam and virus email. See my post in this NG under Re: Mailwasher tip...THANKS!

Jesse L Zufall Silt, Co

Jesse L Zufall

I'm NOT a computer novice but upgrading from SystemWorks 2000 to 2003 was a REAL PAIN in the ... 2003 tried to install over 2000 without complaint; it just didn't complete. The 2000 uninstall wouldn't even start. I had to manually uninstall 20002; the instructions on the Symantec WEB site were of marginaluse at best. I winged it and finally got rid of 2000. A word to the wise, start by uninstalling the old version completely! The 2003 install was a real PAIN also. It took quite a bit of tweaking to get it to work. This is the first time I have had trouble with Norton and I have had almost every version they ever shipped. Once 2003 was finally installed it seems to work just fine,

Another "frature" that seems to keep popping up is Norton or some other program complaining at boot that it can't find "mfc42.dll" it appears the problem is caused by an older version of the file being written into C:\windows and in some way confilcting with thea later version residing in C:\windows\system (95/98). The solution is to remane the older version in C:\windows and copy the newer version back to C:\windows.

And some people wonder why I'm moving everything I can over to Linux .

BTW - If you want to get away from Microsloth's office products, take a look at

(about 90 MB). It' free. Runs on Windoze, Linux, & Mac. IT wants the latest Java J2SE 1.4.2 SDK for all features to work. It's about 60MB from

keith bowers

If you want a straight anti-virus..that works VERY well

Run the free one, then send the guy some money for the pro version if you like it.

Gunner

"Anyone who cannot cope with firearms is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house." With appologies to RAH..

Reply to
Gunner

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:32:14 -0400, Steve Smith wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

Still using Win 98 SE, but....

I use Vet AntiVirus from Computer Associates. It seems pretty good. The support team have been very helpful, bit with the software and with info about viruses. There is a trial, and easy purchase when that expires. I have had little trouble installing upgrades to new versions. Sometimes theier site gets a little flaky, but signature downloads are very easy, as long as you are are paid up ($25 to buy, $20 per year??)

****************************************************************************************** Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. The rest sit around and make snide comments.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email !!

Reply to
Old Nick