OT: water valve used for gas cut off?

Can a water shut off valve be used inline to cut off a gas line?

Reply to
Paul

Some valves are labeled WOG- water, oil or gas- if it's not rated for gas, don't use it

Historically, the valve industry classified valves by saturated steam ratings and a secondary rating called "WOG". WOG stand for water, oil or gas. "OWG" which is a rearrangement of WOG was also used.

ATP

To be clear, if is rated "WOG", the G stands for "gaseous mixture" but not fuel gas, i.e, natural gas, propane.

Don't use "WOG" rated valves in natural gas lines.

david

Reply to
nawks

Its a natural gas line... the valve says: 600 WOG

150 WSP? Paul

Reply to
Paul

If the valve is rated for natural gas it will have the "AGA" logo cast into the body. Sort of overstruck logo with a large "G", small "A"s. If it doesn't have the "AGA" or "LP" cast, doesn't matter what else it says.

Reply to
Toolbert
150 wsp is 150 psi "working steam pressure". pressure rating for steam service valves. Your valve is not designed for natural gas lines.

David

Reply to
nawks

ok.. Thanks as always this group has the answers :) Paul

Reply to
Paul

Don't think *I* would... and I can't think of a reason why I would want to... Ken.

Reply to
Anonymous

What's the difference? Leaks around seals? Degredation over time?

Tim

-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics, - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams

Its more like I "have" already put it in place and have now figured out I bought the wrong kind of valve. Guess I'll have to un do all the work and take it out.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Hey Paul,

Some of the new 1/4 turn ball-valves are rated for both water and Natural gas.

Take care.

Brian Laws>Can a water shut off valve be used inline to cut off a gas line?

Reply to
Brian Lawson

You have no clue what you're talking about. The gaseous mixture here is you talking out of your ass.

Reply to
ATP

Unfortunately, some of them are wrong. Nawks is giving you bad advice. Check out some utility regulations for natural gas installations, or call your local gas utility. I've already been through this with an idiot who saw a WOG valve in a kitchen and thought it was a water only valve.

Reply to
ATP

I believe the main difference is that these valves are designed to be compliant to ASME B16.44 (for indoor above ground installations) or B16.33-2002 (for outdoor above ground) standards.

I've not gone into these to understand their differences.

david

Reply to
nawks

Natural gas valves are WOG rated. It should also have suitable connections and be listed or approved.

Reply to
ATP

It might be, or it might not be. AGA/CGA approved valves are rated for steam pressure and WOG pressure as well. Here's one example of many:

ATP

I wouldn't worry if it is a ball valve, but you don't want to rely on a gate valve or a hose bib.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Roger, I'm just concerned that the gas will make its way around the ball of the valve. Do you think this will be a problem? As far as I can see the valve will never be used unless I need to take the gas valve at the other end off. Which shouldn't be needed.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

NG does have degradation-inducing properties over time upon some materials.

Reply to
no spam for me today thank you

Gas pressure is something on the order of 11 inches of water. Ball valves are used on much higher pressure than this both for compressed air and water.

I have ball valves on my gas lines because they are heavier duty than the gas valves. If you are concerned, test with some soapy water.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf