gas valve/tap

I know this is`nt model engineering but it`s to do with my workshop. I`m thinking of converting a propane bottle into a wood burning stove
for my workshop. I need to take off the gas valve/tap on the top of the bottle so I can fill the bottle with water to get rid of any gas in there. My question is this, which way does it turn? I`ve tried clockwise and anticlockwise but to no avail. Regards Pete

You will be guilty of criminal damage because when you obtained your first cylinder you signed an agreement that the cylinders belonged to the gas company and you were only hiring them.
Anonymous. wrote:

I *KNOW* I have never signed such an agreement for one, and I doubt the travelers who dump them round here did either....
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:59:04 -0800 (PST), dave sanderson

I also have access to a number of cylinders and have considered using one (13 Kg) as an additional reservoir to supplement a "Jun-Air" silent compressor for shop supply. Primarily for a blow gun. Anyone have any comments ?
--
Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!

So you are going to knowingly receive stolen goods and convert them (both in the technical and also the legal sense) for your own purposes?

.
I never said that, just that *I* have never had to sign such an agreement
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 01:34:15 -0800 (PST), dave sanderson

Neither have I, FWIW, and nor did the moulding factory I used to run, and we used these for both the workshop and the forklift truck.
Perhaps there may be an agreement in place where 'anonymous' gets his cylinders from, but he is being rather pedantic IMO.
Incidentally, a friend is just moving from is smallholding and had half a dozen propane bottles he needed to get rid of. A mixed lot from Calor, Shellgas, and others. When he tried to return these to 2 local outlets they refused to take them as they had changed their supplier to Flo-Gas. As the nearest calor outlet was now 60 miles away in Norfolk and he didn't have a clue as where the nearest Shell gas was, he then tried to take them to the local council recycling depot. They refused to take them as well. I believe they have now been donated to the local Gypsy camp.
Peter
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:10:17 +0000, Peter Neill

It certainly used to be the case that you had to sign a rental agreement for your first bottle(s).
There does seem to be a surplus of bottles floating about in recent years, usually from one of the smaller companies, and you're quite right that it can be difficult to find proper homes for these. I've got a couple here with no homes to go to.
Tim

I stand corrected therefore
Tim Leech wrote:

I was a bit annoyed that I had to pay the deposit on a cylinder recently. I've seen them abandoned in the past. If I'd known what size I needed in advance, I could have had one for nothing.
Chris

The law about theft and criminal damage, and the way that it is enforced is just that ..... pedantic

You're not a civil servant by any chance are you?
Peter
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:28:24 +0000, Peter Neill

Seems reasonably civil...but not terribly servile <G>
Regards, Tony
Anonymous. wrote:

Geez, man.
Sit on your hands, and ask someone to check that your door is locked, and you can live risk free! If you leave the curtains closed, you can resist the urge to whinge to council about what you see the neighbor do, too!
The valves on propane bottles are usually a bugger to get undone. Keeps the undetermined from getting them off.
The outfit that I saw the setup in, had a large bench, bolted down, with a set of bars that went through the guard on the bottle. Slide the guard onto the bars, apply the long handled wrench, and lean on it!
A look at what little threads remain, should tell you right off, which direaction to turn. The ones I have, are all RH threads.
Once the top is uncorked, some hot water will remove a lot of the oils that are inside. It's going to STINK!
Cheers Trevor Jones

I would not knowingly steal something nor deliberately damage another's property.
Would you?
Anonymous. wrote:

Why don't you use your real name if you're proud of your ethics, then? :-)
Chris

But you are ashamed to show your name in public. Got something in your past that we should know about?
Mark Rand RTFM
Anonymous. wrote:

Just your bicycle tires!
Really! :-)
Cheers Trevor Jones

Many thanks for the info Trevor. The company who supplied me with the bottle went out of business some eight years ago. This burner is going to be a vertical one. While checking prices of wood burning stoves on ebay, one caught my eye at 29.95. It was a gas bottle with an upper and a lower door. Thats where the idea came from. Regards Pete

Fairly comprehensive info on both valve and smell removal at
http://www.tinyisland.com/LPvalveRemoval.html
HTH