OT Way OT OT Way OT

White Socks 100% Cotton.

I find them to size 13 but after a couple of washings they have shrunk too far or have holes. So where do I get some bigger ones? Size 13 seems to be the biggest size.

Have to be 100% cotton and White in color. Can't do tube socks and colors make my feet break out or worse.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Just keep looking. I found the upto 13s to be a little tight myself. Every once in a while I'll find some 9-14 or 10-15, and I'll buy every pair they have on the shelf... or atleast every pair I can afford at the moment. I've noticed the last couple years they are harder to find. Probably one of those economic backlash things where stores are stocking less selection and or mfgs are providing a narrower selection.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

When it comes to socks, cotton is terrible. Get yourself some synthetic socks. They will cost 2-3X but they will not shrink, plus they will cusion your feet much better, greatly decrease the chances of foot fungus issues and they will last considerably longer also.

Don't buy them locally, they charge way too much and don't have large sizes. Try online (I like Zappos.com, but there are other places)

Also (related) don't ever buy the huge puffy "rag" socks, if they are made of cotton, or anything else. They do not hold together as the weave is too loose. They will fall apart after only a few washings, if they cost $5 or $25 a pair. You should ONLY ever buy tightly-woven socks, and NEVER buy any socks with any cotton in them at all.

Reply to
DougC

Do you run them through the drier? It's the drier's heat that is generally what shrinks things. I warm wash & hang dry and never have shrinkage.

Cotton feels better when hung to dry and when hung outside smells really nice.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

You should ONLY ever buy tightly-woven socks, and

Doug C

Anything but 100% cotton makes my feet break out. If I don't get them off within a hour or so I am in for several weeks of burning discomfort and itching a lot. Wear them any longer and my feet turn bloody. Med bills are in the 100s.

Therefore I don't wear anything but white 100% cotton socks.

Bob AZ.

Reply to
Bob AZ

My problem is hats. I used to be able to find a basic baseball cap in a large enough size. Only place I can find one now is at a flea market that has real old ones.

I wear a straw hat all summer. I can find the XXL in Florida if I look in several stores but no chance up nort'.

I wear a carhart hat all winter. I can wear their largest one. At first its so tight I can't close my eyes. When my better half says its too dirty I get another cause washing shrinks it.

You're better off being big foot than fat head.

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

The best socks I've ever bought are from Costco. The $10 4-packs of Merino Wool socks by Kirkland are just great. Usually in stock by November. I bought 3 packs last time so I don't have to buy any for another 5-7 years. They're great in boots, keeping my feet much drier than cotton socks. I just love the cushy things.

-- If you're trying to take a roomful of people by surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets if you don't yell going through the door. -- Lois McMaster Bujold

Reply to
Larry Jaques

^^^^^^^^

You misspelled "increase".

Reply to
Doug Miller

The synthetics make my feet break out in blisters. For me, cotton is the answer. Barefoot or sandals works most of the time here. As far as Karl's big head, you can generally find real baseball caps to size

8, which fits me most of the time. Also, check out
for stuff that fits.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Millions of athletes at all levels, over the past several decades would probably disagree with you. But anyway.

----------

OPs condition (allergy to synthetic fibers) is highly unusual.

Typically any allergy to clothing fibers is an allergy to natural fibers (cotton, wool and latex) due to the fact that they contain residue proteins from the originating organisms, or because they harbor mite infestations. Neither of these things exists in synthetic fibers.

Dermatitis just from synthetic fiber skin contact seems to be rather rare, though synthetic socks do frequently contain spandex, which contains latex rubber--and latex is a common allergen. I would expect that OP was likely allergic to latex instead.

I would suggest looking for synthetic socks for those with a latex allergy, and trying a pair. There must be something out there.

Reply to
DougC

Thanks for the link. I was about to order. Then it said, XXXL is out of stock. Heard that one before.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I despise synthetic socks too, only use them in my running shoes and they come off again soon as I get back... All they (synthetic socks) are really doing is masking the fact that the shoes suck big time. Really hard nowadays to find shoes that can be worn for more than a few hours at a time without your feet begging to get out of them...

You might want to try looking at diabetic socks. I've seen them in the First Aid/Pharmacy area of our local stores. They are a bit pricey but fit nice and loose. Once you find something you like check the net stores for much better prices.

Someone else mentioned it too, don't run your socks through the clothes dryer. It shrinks them and/or destroys the elastic in them at the same time.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Damn! Well, you can get someone to do like my mother did years ago, took welding caps, cut 'em, and sewed in big darts. Looked like shit, but welding caps aren't exactly a style statement. BTW, I got some from Comeaux (sp?) that fit a little tight, but work, size 8.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

I'm OK for socks and hats (seldom wear a hat but do have a straw hat for summer sunshine - it has no band to restrict size, just a loop of twine around the outside), my problem is shirts. My neck size is 23" which only comes with a chest size approaching 60" as opposed to my

44". Thankfully I had the local tailor set me up with a couple dress shirts before he retired at 90 years of age. Any sport shirt that fits decently has to have the collar and next button down left open. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller