OT: Weed killer

Yeah, I'll go with that. With a gallon of Trimec running over $340, I don't want any yellow nut sedge surviving the summer.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Hope you don't have thistles. Stinger is over twice that. If you want to talk serious money, look at some of the new formulations for apple disease and insect control.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Excuse me, please.

I did not "recommend" doing so: I reported what a local landscape/lawn service owner told me _he_ does. He claims to use that mixture to retard the growth of his customers' lawns, which seems counter-productive to me. I'd think he'd want his customers' lawns to grow quickly. :)

Do plants develop resistance to glyphosate?

Reply to
John Husvar

Stinger IS pretty expensive. There is a new thistle product, "Maintain" that is supposed to be very effective(according to reviewers not associated with the company). I don't know what it costs.

JW

Reply to
jw

Got a maker's name for that?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Apologies. I didn't go back to verify the language. My fault.

Unfortunately, yes. It is a growing problem(no pun intended) for Roundup Ready crops. Exacerbated by poor crop rotations.

JW

Reply to
jw

That will teach my to rely on memory. :(

It's Milestone by Dow.

JW

Reply to
jw

This is a very intresting thread. About 40 yrs ago a friend and I were discusing this very subject. He had a little chemistry and we even came up with a name for it. " SloGro" Course it never came to pass but it proves There is nothing new under the sun" :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

That'd explain why I was having no luck at all with google. Thanks, I'll check with the coop and see if I can get it there. Thistles are a real problem in south-central Wisconsin, at least in my part of it. They're already green, with nothing else around it being green. AArgh.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Roundup applied via wick takes out thistle 100% at a very low cost. I cleaned up a 33 acre field with a little over 2qts of concentrate. The field was about 30% infested, Canada type. The hand wand applicators with roundup are like the fist of God to anything they touch..

Full burn down in 3 days. Wait until they are at least 10" above the canopy and mix with distilled water @ 13% actual. Add some non ionic surfactant with it but distilled h2o for best results.

Goats also love thistles, they bite them off down turn the stem around with their tongue and munch backwards.towards the top then spit out the flower.. wierd ED

Reply to
ED

Try 1/4% solution of Roundup, applied at the rate of 10 gallons per acre. Or was that 10% at

1/4 gallon per acre??? Anyway, Roundup is actually a growth INHIBITOR. Applied at a low enough concentration the grass stays green, but grows V-E-R-Y S-L-O-W-L-Y.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Marrs

Have you got anything that describes this? I've never heard of an acquired tolerance for herbicides, other than intentional genetic modifications and rumors of wild plants acquiring resistant genes from GM crops.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I used to have an OLD Lawn boy mower with the front broken off the deck such that the blade stuck out about an inch, greatest thing I ever saw for limiting the spread of Lilac bushes - I could cut half inch wood without batting an eye. One night I hit a golf ball and never did find it. That mower was made before Lawn boy adopted the green paint job - it was brown - early fifties AFAIK. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

It is a real mechanism, but not by gene transfer. Suppose you dose a field with Roundup. All the weeds die except one that happens to have a genetic mutation that causes it to be resistant to Roundup. Now you've got one weed with no competition. If its seeds carry the same mutation as the parent you're in big trouble.

Disclaimer - I am not a botanist, but my daughter is majoring in botany.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Thanks for saving me the effort to type that, Jim. You're absolutely

100% correct, botanist or not.

Same thing applies to improperly used antibiotics, improperly used antihelmintics (wormers, for those of you not dealing with horses) and a whole bunch of other things.

Use in such a way that you kill everything but the one freak that happens to be immune/resistant to , and you soon end up with a population of that consists entirely of "immune to " individuals, and is useless.

That's why we've now got penicillin resistant (or even immune) bacteria, worms that don't die when the horse they're infesting gets fed a dose of Anthelcide, and too many other immune/resistant critters (that used to go belly up when given a whiff of their particular "magic bullet") for me to keep track of today.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Rent the yard out to a goat heard. e.g. grow something and get money for it. But the other guy is in charge...

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Tom Gardner wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

A friend of mine used a couple ounces of deisel fuel in a 200 gallon tank sprayer of round-up as a surfactant. Doubled the kill rate on some stubborn weed I forget the name of. It also makes roundup more effective on poison ivy at a higher concentration.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

So how DO we apply this theory to the dumbass liberal pussys?

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

Hm. Come on over and show me how that works, because my experience, sadly, differs profoundly. Full-strength stuff, canada and bull-thistles just laughed at it.

Hm. Got a full recipe on this? I'll try anything. I hate thistles.

...but not as much as I hate goats.

Reply to
Dave Hinz