OT: Weed killer

Find about 20 goats and let'em go off and munch the stuff.

Reply to
daniel peterman

South-Central? How far are you from Baraboo? My sister lives there.

I'm in SE MN, near Rochester.

JW

Reply to
jw

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 17:19:03 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com (Speechless) quickly quoth:

I'd rather have WEEDS than a bloody lawn. Talk about invasive...

========================================================== CAUTION: Do NOT look directly into laser with remaining eyeball! ==========================================================

Comprehensive Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Bull Thistle and Canada Thistle are two different variety's . The canada is a perennial and the musk and bull are biennial. The biennial's are very hard to treat after they bolt. It will require two applications although one will severely reduce seed production, which is critical for bull thistle control. Canada is a bit different in that it will require full translocation in order to eradicate the colony. If a stronger mixture is applied it will activate, stopping cellular activity before it fully moves completely through the root system. Which gives top kill but the root system will regenerate. Not good...

Pay attention to the chemistry ie ionic orientation with glyphosate, or so I've learned. The notion that if the label specifies 1 qt for example it doesn';t mean that 2qts or more is twice as good.is not true

I have had lots of success in treating difficult perennials ie leafy spurge, russian knapweed ect. A sub lethal dose applied repeatedly followed with a binary compound in the fall is the best for those toughest weeds. But with canada thistle time the application between the flower and bud stage and mix to 13% actual with distilled water and a non ionic surfactant. I apply with a rope wick system the contact points will be visible (black marks) with 48-72 hours and burndown follows closely.

Goat grazing also alters the root morphology and makes perennials vulnerable to even mild hits of 24D

Tillable or grazing ground? Google is a good source for pesticide information, I used Bronco and some silicone stuff last year. Also had pretty good luck with AmWay surfactant but it foams bad I use equal parts of amway to product.

Just a tool for me, I've seen goats save a couple of ranches from bankruptcy over the years, after the owners sprayed weeds to the brink of financial ruin....I can cite examples that are well known..

ED

Reply to
ED

A goat on a leash, or for really large areas two goats.

Reply to
Roger

Reply to
Brent Philion

But the question is what is Agriculture Canada's Full strngth compared to the FDA "Full strength"

Our american posters always seem to have access to a LOT of much more >>

Reply to
Brent Philion

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Brian Lawson wrote on Thu, 06 Apr 2006 06:43:48 -0400 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

It works, but according to one of my organic chem references, one is well advised to keep the solution in a cooling bath while mixing,; as the process is exothermic. this may be a precaution necessary in large batches. I don't know what construes "large". YMMV.

have fun and play nice, and don't for get to clean up afterwards.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Not a problem. Just wanted to make sure I get chastised for the things I do: There are already quite enough of those. :)

Thanks for the information.

In that case, I certainly _won't_ try that fellow's idea. Since it's already an International Biodiversity Site - Crabgrass Conservancy Division, my lawn doesn't need any _stronger_ weeds.

Reply to
John Husvar

Depends on your water; if it has a TINY amount of clay in it the Roundup does nothing. Used distilled water!

Reply to
Nick Hull

How about this for stunting your lawn?

Might work ok on a small lawn. I haven't bothered to figure out what it might cost.

JW

Reply to
jw

That's intriguing, so long as the lawn doesn't develop a taste for single-malt.

If that happens, the lawn can go ahead and grow and I'll take care of the whisky.

Thank you.

Reply to
John Husvar

Huh? Why on earth would you want *THEM* to be immune?!?!?!? If anything, I'd expect anyone with any smarts to want to avoid immunity at all costs when dealing with this species! :)

But, speaking somewhat less jestingly (note the use of the qualifier "somewhat less") I'm pretty certain that there were a handful of them who were immune to intelligence, and once the ones who weren't were all killed off by applications of rational thought and supportable logic made up most of the breeding stock, well... It was inevitable.

Reply to
Don Bruder

About an hour, mostly south-ish. Nice town, Baraboo, I try to get up there at least once a year.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yes, they certainly are.

Thank you very much, that's good to know and explains much. I hit them pretty hard last year, I'll do so again this year and maybe I'll get ahead of the problem.

So, I killed the transport mechanism by using roundup full strength, so I just killed part and not all of the plant. That makes sense. (remind me to double-check the advice the co-op guy gives me...)

Here I am the one usually telling people to evaluate which source to trust when they differ in advice, and I just got bit by that. I'll go by the label instead of the old-timer, thanks for the reminder.

Excellent. Printed & saved. So how about poison ivy? How do I kill that stuff? I'm wicked sensitive to it, just to make things interesting.

Nope, it's in land-bank (ASCS? CRP? Whatever it's called this decade), and when that's up it'll keep being a timber farm.

Hm. Well maybe I can borrow some, got a friend with a bunch. I just have a hard time relating to a creature which is even more stubborn than I am.

Thanks for the info, Ed. I really appreciate it.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I have a very clay-filled environment. So it absorbs, or neutralizes it then? Time to fire up the (water) still...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Sure no problem, biennial's such a bull thistle are most easily controlled this time of year when they are in the rosette stage. Try some 2-4-D @2-3 pt's per acre, hard to beat 2-4D in price. There's lots of other products, depends on how serious things are. Depleat the seed bank and let the grass out compete any new seed floating in.

That's quite possible you did get a top kill, some of the co-op guys are knowledgeable and some are not...google is your friend when it comes to herbicides

There's a lot of science involved and I don't pretend to be any sort of an expert, but I do my research. I hear a few experienced ag producers make some outlandish statements regarding weed spray, sometimes less is *more*

Goats are perfect for PI , they love it. Follow up with some swine to root out the roots. When dealing with goats protocal will make the difference between sucess and failure.......start with a few and let nature do her thing. Bring in a mixed semi load and I guarantee you will never want to see another goat again.....unless you have a good judas herd to put em on.... .

Better than $ in the bank.

This most difficult thing about goats is they are smart..with a capitol S. and hard to fence in/out. It's kind of like working a mule, ya got to be smarter than the beast.....

Good luck ED

Reply to
ED

Well, try to get there on the 4th of July. I provide the entertainment. I've been shooting the fireworks display there for about 15 years. The last two years I've been shooting at Mauston as well.

Reply to
Tom Wait

Might keep tresspassers at bay or at least the smarter ones. Sounds like it would be easy to spray.

.

Sounds nice, land is a great investment also. I'm in the process of bidding on some mt timber land that PCL logged off and is selling. The weeds followed the loggers in. Lodgepole fir and knapweed. Won't be merchantable for 100 yrs but the grouse & elk hunting is nice......they leave maybe 5% standing.

" Nothing more dangerous than a * clever sheep*."

Now there's an oxymoron if ever there was one...

ED

Reply to
ED

They do make a very good curry though. ( An omnivore working in India has a choice of chicken, goat or water buffalo)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand