OT: Weed Killer

Some kind person posted a link on inexpensive bulk weed killer. I lost the link. Could someone repost it please?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Are you after roundup? I've seen the generic chinese version in Menards, Fleet Farm, Home Depot. Same thing if you're after 2,4,D Just about the cheapest spot for these two.

If you need something special, I'll buy from my supplier and ship to you. Now i will expect a serious shipment of wire brushes

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

My post from 5/1, is this it:

You can buy 18% Round Up concentrate for $30 a quart or you can buy 41% glyphosate for $28 (shipped) a _gallon_ (

or
).

That's a 1/10 the price, adjusted for concentration and size. Never mind the price comparison to pre-diluted ("Ready to Use") Round Up.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Thanks! I'd like to "Scorched Earth" about 1/4 acre and keep it that way.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

What's the best way to kill everything on about 1/4 acre (around the shop) and keep it that way?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I use:

Roundup to kill what is there now.

Surflan to keep it clear (for a few months anyway).

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

5-surfactant.html

Thanks.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

When the weather is cooler, a propane tank and a weed burner can give you a real scorched earth. Harbor Freight has the weed burners for about $20.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

scortch it with roundup plus 2,4,D. Then keep it down with Parmitol

Karl Townsend

I use my leftover, used, salt and vinnegar rust remover; just add a bit of dish soap to make it wet better. I spray it on anything green that I want gone.

Reply to
geraldrmiller

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

How many hundreds or thousands of square feet are you able to keep completely free of foliage that way?

The perimeter wall of my shop building is 372', and there's galvalume metal siding to contend with. Do you produce enough rust remover to treat a two-foot band around it three times a year, and not damage the metal siding? Say, roughly 750 square feet of surface, thrice a year.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

There was a news article about Chinese herbicides here in Australia this week.

A few containers have been found by customs to contain all sorts of banned carcinogenic toxic crap being sold as legitimate herbicides.

They have been packaging it up as genuine name brand product & selling it cheap.

Reply to
Gonadicus

Gonadicus fired this volley in news:x6udneYP8ePAm5PPnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com.au:

About cheap herbicides. If you're going to treat acres, only for broadleaf weeds, 2,4,D is fine, but it won't handle most woody types, and many grasses are immune to it. I can get generic 2,4,D concentrate (forget the amount, but it dilutes like 50:1) for around $20.00/gallon.

I can get US-made generic glyphosate 41% syrup for $73 / 2.5 gallon jug.

So... none of it is very expensive when looked at from the standpoint of coverage. Then... about the Chinese contaminated stuff:

They do that with many chemical products shipped to the US. Fireworks chemicals have been found to contain all variety of banned substances in amounts high enough to ruin their function in fireworks. Lead, hexavalent chromium, selenides, arsenous compounds, all variety of banned chlorine organics... list goes on and on.

They do it to food products, too; even baby food (remember the Melamine thing?).

The Chinese have pretty strict hazmat disposal rules that prevent them from putting their waste streams out into the environment (now... wasn't like that 20 years ago). But they have NO laws at all preventing them from selling their waste stream if they can hide it in a "non-toxic" product (as long as they don't kill any Chinese with it).

I've dealt a LOT with them over the years, in the fireworks trade. I had one Chinese ex-pat tell me that it is EXPECTED to try to cheat a customer and considered highly 'honorable' to win at it. They feel that you have demonstrated superiority over the other person when you do such, and there is great honor in a skillfully negotiated con-job or economic theft.

There is great shame in _being_cheated_, because that says you are not a smart and careful buyer, and thus deserve shame.

I do know this, if you DISCOVER a 'cheat' after-the-fact (analyze the chems, whatever), and attempt to get reimbursed for it, you will never (ever, ever) get any money back or product replaced. The only thing a Chinese merchant who's 'caught' at cheating will do is give you "credit on future order". If you sue for compensation, they merely fold their US corporate presence (if they have one at all), and re-open under new papers.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yep - not just chemicals, a good portion of the groceries our Aussie shops now come from China. I do my best not to buy them.

Reply to
Gonadicus