OT: weird DVOM failure

All good points, especially since your uses are far more critical. My good stuff walks...long stories,,,

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I don't trust a good meter...I check it with a known hot first to make sure the good meter works and it's set right.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

BB: Fluke's US service center is in Carrolton, Tx...The website no longer lists the address, but you can call and get it. Years ago I took my benchtop unit in for repair when the display quit working. Got it back about two weeks later along with a full calibration sheet and a traceability certificate. All I wanted was the display fixed, but the cal/cert was a nice added bonus.

Craig C.

Reply to
cvairwerks

It still helps they're probably 20 times more reliable.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Did you ever get some spoo or something non-conductive on a probe tip and not notice it? The best meter in the world only works if you are actually connected to a conductor.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Nah...the unit had been stashed in a box with some other tools and was out in the storage room when we had a hard freeze. When I brought it back in and tried to use it, the LCD display was rainbow colored and only random segments would show. Evidently the cold and the quick warmup did something to the display internals. The only mistake that I made when I bought that unit was not springing the extra 100 bucks for the internal battery pack...When I need it out on the plane, I got to drag another extension cord....

Craig C. cvairwerks at ev1.net

Reply to
cvairwerks

I have a "fluke clone" that does the same. Voltmeter still works and appears to be accurate, but the ohmeter goes completely bomkers. A new battery, and it's fine again.

You've heard the old saw. "if it works, it's a fluke" - can go both ways!

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Just in case anyone was curious. Popped open the meter, checked for moisture, trash, corrosion and found none. Changed the battery, put it together, and tested it. Still broken. Calling Fluke to see about getting it fixed.

Reply to
B.B.