OT: What is this fastener holding my new chuck on the spindle?

I need to know how to remove this fastener holding my new chuck on the spindle.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04
That's a better view than I can get with my naked eye.
I don't get it. Do you think they used some sort of rivet? Is it possible that the chuck won't come off?
I used DeWalt's website web form help request, for what it's worth.
Drilling it is an option? Yikes.
Thanks.

Since you show the chuck OFF, what's the point of the question?
On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 09:48:30 -0000 (UTC)

Doesn't look like anything holding in that area. What's the model number for that drill? I took a look around DeWalts site/parts, but they have way too many offerings with slight differences...
I wonder if they went to taper style chucks for some reason...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

'Don't know about your model, but DeWalt cordless drills that I know of are conventionally threaded, but there also is a left-hand-thread screw in the center that has to be removed first, from the front end.
Take a look at this and see if it looks right for your drill:
https://dewaltparts.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/dewalt-drills-how-to-replace-the-chuck-on-your-dewalt-drill/
--
Ed Huntress

On Fri, 08 Jul 2016 14:37:58 -0400
<snip>

Take a look at his picture Ed. It looks like the end of a motor shaft or taper adapter inside his drill chuck. Shrug...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

When I enlarge it as much as I can without pixelating it, I see what *could* be the Allen socket they're talking about in the link I posted above.
Or maybe I'm just projecting from something I heard about years ago, when my fishing buddy buggered his chuck and told me over the phone about the *#$)$%* screw in the middle -- which I thought was confirmed by the replacement instructions above.
--
Ed Huntress

I know that True Value store brand drills take a #10-32 left hand chuck retaining screw because mine was missing it and I made one. They let me pull the screw from another drill to measure it. --jsw
On Fri, 08 Jul 2016 15:18:21 -0400
<snip>

John posted a picture of HIS chuck. It has pretty good detail. See the following and you won't have to mess with flickr:
http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/JohnDoesChuck.jpg
I don't see anything there that looks like any sort of screw head...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Right. I looks like a little rubber O-ring or something.
Oh, well. There's always giving a call to DeWalt.
--
Ed Huntress

    [ ... ]

    So -- is the drill reversible? If not, no need for a left-handed screw to lock the chuck in place during reverse operation.
    If it is threaded (which is typical for chucks for hand drills), one way that I have read about in several places to get it loose is to close the chuck down on the short end of the largest Allen (hex) key that will fit, and then whap the end of the long end with a chunk of wood, or a hammer, to spin the chuck clockwise as viewed from behind the chuck.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Simple fix: Use a left-handed screwdriver.

I used an old motorcycle style impact hammer the first time I had to undo one of those. http://tinyurl.com/zevtxtq
Later drills had hex head screws, and it was much easier to remove those.
--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
On 7/8/2016 4:10 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:

To me the very center looks like the drill spindle, with a center hole. Which means a press fit.
Yeah, in that first picture, it's on the drill. In the 9th picture in that group of photos, it's completely off. There is NO chuck on that drill. The only part showing on the drill body is the nose-end of the chuck's shaft... which is clear evidence the chuck has been entirely removed.
So... again: If you've got the chuck completely OFF, why are you asking?
On Fri, 08 Jul 2016 16:27:22 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Perhaps it's best to simply file (plonk) him under the category of "known troll".
--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
On Fri, 08 Jul 2016 17:10:28 -0700, Larry Jaques

With each plonk, Larry, you sound a little bit more like the sound of one hand clapping.
--
Ed Huntress