OT: Wildlife invade NYC suburbs

As some of you know I ive in a NYC bedroom community, 14,000 people packed into a borough of 2.7 sq. miles.

It's not a place where one would expect much wildlife. But it's getting tough to find places to hunt in NJ -- not because hunting is generally outlawed, but because houses are everywhere, and there aren't many places to shoot. The animals are taking over and they'll kick your ass if you give them a hard time.

So having a black bear stuck in a tree in the middle of town this past summer was worth coverage on major TV networks. Coyotes have been seen right over the town lines. Deer run panicked through my back yard. And yesterday five wild turkeys invaded the school yard where my wife teaches.

Not having seen wild turkeys before, or knowing anything about them, the administration reacted as we've come to expect when school administrators don't have a clue: they kept the kids in from recess. I don't think they had to hide under their desks. d8-)

I offered to come take care of the turkeys, and to bring recipes, but they didn't take me up on it.

Next up, mountain lions, which probably roar with a New York accent...

Reply to
Ed Huntress

If you shoot a small caliber rifle from inside of your apartment, the shot is not really heard as a gunshot.

Ignoramus13363

I don't live in an apartment, and if an animal dropped dead in my neighborhood, my neighbors would know full well that I'd done the shooting.

To get to the turkeys I'd have to shoot through around 50 houses. And if I was caught with a gun in my trunk, not on my way to a shooting range or a gunsmith, I'd get a year in the can.

It's tough out here for gun owners.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

But chasing a .22 wounded turkey around the neighborhood may raise some eyebrows.

Flocks of turkeys have become a commonplace and welcome sight here in midcoast Maine over the past 25 years. On the other hand, the deer population has increased to the point that some towns, particularly island towns, have had to resort to paid sharpshooters to thin the herds. I think I've nearly convinced my gun-phobic wife she should take up deer hunting to protect her gardens.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

That's like my old boss at Wasino. He was anti-gun and anti-hunting until he moved into a new house and had $25,000 worth of landscaping done.

The deer ate it all in six months.

We have so many deer out here that they're getting tame. In little Princeton Township a few years ago there were 175 deer kilied by cars in one year.

We have the highest densities of people and deer in the United States.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Get one of these:

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Great, Tom. That ought to get me five years in the state pen.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Worse than the TSP? Pretty scary at night.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

What's TSP?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Make sure that your back is to the wall when you pick up the soap!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Taconic State Parkway (not TriSodium Phosphate).. runs along the Hudson River Valley.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Aha. Well, I haven't driven that road in decades, so I don't know. But the country roads in Somerset and Hunterdon Counties in NJ are God-awful to drive at night or in fog when the deer are out and around.

A friend of mine got all of the available permits one year -- firearms, muzzleloader, doe, archery, etc., and killed ten of them.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I have seen a turkey at times in my neighbors yard across the road. But no flocks. I think the foxes keep the turkey population down. Deer are much more common. Yesterday I saw five deer in the front yard. All does or yearlings.

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Muslim suicide deer?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Liberal Democrat deer, that think they are entitled to the entire roadway.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell