NYC Elevated Subway Structure

There are probably hundreds -- if not thousands -- of on-line pictures of New York City subway cars and stations.
But I can't find any decent photographs -- or drawings -- of the elevated
structure suitable for starting to model it. I'll probably take some of my own pictures later this year but it would help if I could find some preliminary on-line material first.
Anyone know of any on-line sites with good pictures or drawings of the "el"? How about books?
TIA Norm

Try a 'looser' google search -- search for Boston, Philadelphia, or Chicago elevated structures. They are all about the same vintage and probably use much the same construction technology. This should give you a 'start'. Moving on to an on-site visit with your camera would be a next step.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933

http://www.nycsubway.org /
-- Bill McC.
Norm:
Try commutermodeler Commuter Modeling over at Yahoo Groups for info, photos, help! Best, Steve Lynch www.trainsarefun.com

Norm Dresner wrote:

Joe's Transit Album might offer something:
http://thejoekorner.quuxuum.org/joealbum.htm
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Model Railroad Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Resources--Links to 1,100 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links

pictures of

the elevated

take some of my

some
of the "el"?

As strange as it sounds, if your computer has a DVD reader pick up a DVD of the original "King Kong" movie. There are a couple of decent shots of the elevated structure during Kong's rampage in New York you could do a 'print screen' of.
Len
Here are some sources:
http://index.mrmag.com/tm.exe?opt=S&cmdtext=elevated&MAG=ANY&output=3&sort=D
| Here are some sources: | | http://index.mrmag.com/tm.exe?opt=S&cmdtext=elevated&MAG=ANY&output=3&sort=D
Thanks. Nice search engine.
One coincidence that struck me. There were two Model Railroader articles about modeling elevated structures, one in '84 and the other in '78 -- and both were in October! Some weird Halloween thing with the editor? ;-))
Norm
| | As strange as it sounds, if your computer has a DVD reader pick | up a DVD of the original "King Kong" movie. There are a couple of | decent shots of the elevated structure during Kong's rampage in | New York you could do a 'print screen' of. | | Len
I've already got the DVD of the French Connection and have been meaning to watch it for some time. The chase scene under the El was one of the first of its genera and still excites me.
Norm
| There are probably hundreds -- if not thousands -- of on-line pictures of | New York City subway cars and stations. | | But I can't find any decent photographs -- or drawings -- of the elevated | structure suitable for starting to model it. I'll probably take some of my | own pictures later this year but it would help if I could find some | preliminary on-line material first. | | Anyone know of any on-line sites with good pictures or drawings of the "el"? | How about books? | | TIA | Norm
Much thanks to everyone who replied with links. Someone e-mailed me a suggestion to look at alt.binary.pictures.rail and neither my ISP nor Google have ever hear of it. Any suggestions/corrections?
Norm
try alt.binaries.pictures.rail instead of alt.binary.pictures.rail and it might pop up. It really does exist, and many of us on this list are there regularly.

| try alt.binaries.pictures.rail instead of alt.binary.pictures.rail and it | might pop up. It really does exist, and many of us on this list are there | regularly. |
Got it! Thanks.
Norm

it
there
Norm,
In particular, on alt.binaries.pictures.rail you might want to look for postings by Joseph Testagrose. He's previously posted many pictures taken on NYC.
Hope this helps.
Russ Wykes, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, UK
Norm, it is alt.binaries.pictures.rail I get it through my normal roadrunner ISP.
--
73 de KT0T
Bob Schwartz