outfitting a trailer

I'm the proud owner of a nifty Haulmark 6x10 enclosed trailer that I'm going to use for some wide range of things, most of which I don't know about yet. I can come up with a lot of good ideas, but they're pretty worthless if I can get advice from someone who's been through it already.

Question is, how do I outfit it to give me versatility in tying stuff (some of it maybe heavy) down securely and not get in the way of bulk moving?

As delivered, it has a standard steel frame, channels 24" o.c. in the floor with a PT 3/4" plywood floor. It has a heavy D-ring, bolted through to a steel plate, in each corner.

I'm tending toward the idea of bolting down a pair of long runners (2x4?

4x4?) on the floor, maybe 4 feet apart and one cross piece at the nose. Then I could just load in 4x8 sheets of anything without worrying about them shifting. The runners maybe would be useful for skidding, rolling heavy pallets around without wrecking the floor.

How about wall anchors? Upscale strips that show up by Googling 'trailer tiedowns'?

It has a ramp door. Does anyone have advice on a weight limit for loading through it?

TIA, Fred Klingener

Reply to
Fred Klingener

If you want to protect the floor, there's always your friendly neighborhood Rhino Linings dealer.

Aeroquip rails are the kind commercial trucks and moving vans use to anchor the loads - available in both 'horizontal' and 'vertical' slot styles.

On the floor might not be good, unless you build up the floor around them with another glued down layer of plywood so the steel rails are recessed.

The big advantage for the rails is going horizontal across the walls at three or four levels, and riveting them down to each vertical wall rib on the side - strengthens the trailer side walls a lot. And a slot every two inches means you can always find one where you need it.

Not really, you'll have to call Haulmark and ask them - but if it isn't hitched to a vehicle it WILL try to tip on it's ass while being loaded with heavy things like motorcycles or lawn tractors.

Get a set of jack-stands for under the rear sill, or you can permanently mount a pair of swing-up landing jacks just forward of the tail lights.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

A small winch is a big help getting heavy stuff up the ramp door safely. I put a WarnWorks 3700 in my 8x24 trailer along with an onboard battery for it.

Reply to
Pete C.

--Well there's rec.outdoors.rv-travel but not sure if that would work. It's got a *lot* of traffic tho..

Reply to
steamer