Paper mallet mfg

On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 19:07:59 +0100

The Internet, UK Mystery writers and UK Magazines I read help a lot to better understand these little language quirts :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message wrote:

The Internet, UK Mystery writers and UK Magazines I read help a lot to better understand these little language quirts :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
On 17/09/2021 19:30, Leon Fisk wrote:

Searching archive.org has turned up a few references to paper mallets but not to who made them. The Smithsonian site looks like it might be useful when/if they get the contents available online as they seem to have many catalogues but only a synopsis of the content https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/SILNMAHTL_41097 .
On Mon, 20 Sep 2021 20:08:44 +0100

Not surprised. Some catalogs are really good about telling you who made the item but a lot of them are not...
I wouldn't hold your breath on the Smithsonian... always funding woes there.
Sometimes you can find bits and pieces at:
https://books.google.com/
Here (if the link works) is an example of a good hit but not exactly what you're looking for:
https://www.google.com/books/edition/Form_Emphasis_for_Metalsmiths/QpQgPb-_VDsC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22paper+mallet%22&pg=PA22&printsec=frontcover
I'll keep this matter in mind. I poke around looking for odds & ends pretty often. If I come across anything of interest I'll pass it on :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
On 20/09/2021 21:52, Leon Fisk wrote:

I'll have a poke around on the google site, thanks. The link you posted works fine and is an example of the only things I have found so far, the suggestion in a few books to use a paper mallet. I haven't found anything yet regarding someone selling or making them.
On Mon, 20 Sep 2021 16:52:08 -0400

Link to the "Mallet" listing in an old "Thomas' Register of American Manufacturers and First Hands in all Lines : The Buyers' Guide 1905-1906":
https://archive.org/details/ThomasRegisterOfAmericanManufacturers19051906/page/n705/mode/2up
Might be another source if you could locate some more of these Registers in a more recent year...
They are still around nowadays:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Register
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
On 20/09/2021 22:15, Leon Fisk wrote:

Interesting link and no mention of paper mallets but 3 mentions of printers mallets. I did wonder if a soft faced mallet such as paper could be used to set white metal type, I'll try that angle and see what I find.