Paper mallet mfg

The Internet, UK Mystery writers and UK Magazines I read help a lot to better understand these little language quirts :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

The Internet, UK Mystery writers and UK Magazines I read help a lot to better understand these little language quirts :)

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Searching archive.org has turned up a few references to paper mallets but not to who made them. The Smithsonian site looks like it might be useful when/if they get the contents available online as they seem to have many catalogues but only a synopsis of the content

.

Reply to
David Billington

Not surprised. Some catalogs are really good about telling you who made the item but a lot of them are not...

I wouldn't hold your breath on the Smithsonian... always funding woes there.

Sometimes you can find bits and pieces at:

Here (if the link works) is an example of a good hit but not exactly what you're looking for:

I'll keep this matter in mind. I poke around looking for odds & ends pretty often. If I come across anything of interest I'll pass it on :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I'll have a poke around on the google site, thanks. The link you posted works fine and is an example of the only things I have found so far, the suggestion in a few books to use a paper mallet. I haven't found anything yet regarding someone selling or making them.

Reply to
David Billington

Link to the "Mallet" listing in an old "Thomas' Register of American Manufacturers and First Hands in all Lines : The Buyers' Guide

1905-1906":

Might be another source if you could locate some more of these Registers in a more recent year...

They are still around nowadays:

Leon Fisk

Interesting link and no mention of paper mallets but 3 mentions of printers mallets. I did wonder if a soft faced mallet such as paper could be used to set white metal type, I'll try that angle and see what I find.

Reply to
David Billington