Pencil question

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 07:39:17 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
<snip>

NPR recently had an interesting Tomato Pie recipe. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounded good. See:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId 4470854#104469203
==Tomato Pie
Make 1 biscuit recipe from the Bisquick box
Use as a pie crust and bake it. Place either ceramic baking beads or another pie plate on top of it to keep it from rising out of control.
Layer in the pie crust (really high) the sweet onions sliced pretty thin (generally 1 big one) and the garden fresh tomatoes not too thin (about 2 lbs). Season each layer of tomatoes with salt, fresh cracked pepper and fresh basil.
Make a top crust with 2 cups shredded cheddar and 1 cup mayo. Mix the cheese and mayo with your hands and squish it all over the pie like a top crust.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour.
On the crust, I used half goat cheese, half mayo, but you have to have the mayo to make the crust.
From: Kathy Lloyd, Pittsfield, Mass =Some pictures and comments if you follow the link.
No ripe tomatoes here yet :(
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

I mentioned it to Susan, who thought it might be a good idea to try. I've copied the recipe. Now to find time to give it a go. She has so many good things she prepares that we go months before repeating some of her recipes.
Thanks, Leon.
Harold
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 05:30:58 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
<snip>

I hear you on the time thing, that and having the fresh tomatoes around. I'm not one to buy tomatoes from the store. If everything comes together and I actually make/try it I'll let you know how it is :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Maternal Grandfather's hair turned white before he was twenty leaving him with a RED handlebar moustache - must have been an impressive figure as a 5'6" tall ferrier. I still have a few strands that haven't gone white (somewhat of a "goatee" look from a distance. Every three months my doctor informs me that I am still alive and keep taking Lipitor although she has just added B12 and tells me to get more exercise (I'm too busy to walk Puppy around the block). Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Gerald Miller wrote:

I have idiots suggest I jog three miles a day while I'm standing there, leaning on my cane to keep from falling.

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 23:28:23 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Every three

I am extremely fortunate in that the only problem I have is the aftermath of a broken heel 21 years ago and walking is the recommended physio therapy for that. If I over exercise, I get discomfort, but the more I do, the more I can do. Thus, my lack of exercise can only be attributed to lack of motivation.
Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Gerald Miller wrote:

I used to spend up to 16 hours a day on my feet while working two full time jobs. I'm lucky if I can spend one or two hours a day on my feet, these days.

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 21:23:10 -0400, Gerald Miller

Too busy to live? Your choice, of course.
Having a heart attack due to arterial blockages and subsequent bypass surgery can adjust attitude a bit for some. It did for me.
Walking puppy round the block doesn't nearly get 'er done -- but shorter good life surely would beat the hell out of an extended invalid life of dependance and inexorable decay.
Pick yer pony, take yer ride. <G>
Ed Huntress wrote:

Hey , I'm under 60 (a little...) and I learned to draw with a T-square and triangles . And lead holders ... I learned to sharpen the leads with a piece of sandpaper glued to a flat piece of wood .
--
Snag
3rd year drafting students got to use the machines ... articulated arm with

Huh. I didn't know you could swap them. That's why I hated them. I got a Mayline, instead, and it was useful for graphic arts as well as drafting. It's also good for cutting out fancy paper airplanes and kite panels. <g>
Luckily, I never had to do complicated drawings. The machines were great for that.
-- Ed Huntress
Mon, 22 Jun 2009 20:25:41 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Ah, the good old days ....
    "Why,when I was a boy, we didn't have this fancy graphite. Lead pencils were made out of real lead! That taught you not to chew on the pencil!"
tschus pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
Old farts these days - no like when I was a boy. We used to

True! I used them in school, and then bought my own. I was still in junior high then. I'm almost 69 now.
Steve R.

That dates you pretty well.
Personally, I prefer my lead holders (often with 6H, HB, and 4B leads) for doing my planning.
I also use one with a thin long-shanked knife blade for cutting stencils.
CAD is handy when you have enough power to run the 'puter but it's easier to use "old tech" when doodling at the coffee shop. <grin>

Being able to sketch something so I can make another is a pretty handy skill I retained.
Wes
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:56:43 -0400, the infamous Wes

Yeah, those old technical/mechanical drawing class skills still come in handy, don't they?
-- The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man. -- Euripides
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:21:49 -0700, Larry Jaques

Used to drive the teacher nuts in school - as a first class assignment the teacher handed out an Isometric Breakdown (Here are three views, now go draw it as an Isometric, or vice versa) and figured it would take a whole period and he could go back to the Sports Section of the paper. Three minutes later, I'm done.
The second one, he stood there and watched. Chin on the floor. Easy A course.
And people wonder how I fix things without the instructions. ;-)
Well hell, if you put the hydraulic fluid in a hole here, it has to come out over there if they cross-drilled from here to here (see the plug for the check-valve access)...
Finally scored a K&E Paragon drafting machine, now I have to remember how to work it again...
And there's a nifty portfolio around here somewhere with a miniature drafting machine riveted to it. Add an 8-1/2" x 11" graph pad, and you have an instant studio on your lap.
--<< Bruce >>--
rec.crafts.metalworking:

Amen, Bro', Amen!
Jun 2009 18:56:43 -0400 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    I'm of the opinion that you have to be able to sketch it 'on a cocktail napkin' before you should be turned loose to fire up the computer. I hear from an engineering friend that his problem on finding "draftsmen" is that most of the ones who apply, need a full up drawing for them to put on the computer. If he had time to do the drawing, he wouldn't need draftsmen! - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

I was probably one of the last to take mechanical drafting in high school.
I like the sharpeners where you inser the lead holder and spin it in cirles, like a crank, and electric erasers. I saw both of those in use as of a few years ago at engineering company. the owner was fast on the computer, but even faster with a pencil and rolling ruler for quick sketchs.
lead is still easy to get at any decent stationary store in Chicago. I've not seen the good sharpeners though. The booklet of sandpaper on the wooden board is still available though.

the coolest one I have has a window in the ferrule. You turn it to show the type of lead currently installed.
Then you give the point a quick wipe with a tissue to keep the

Thanks for the tutorial Ed - they are still available, nice sketching pencils, easier to manage than the tiny small diameter plastic modern ones (they break too easy) Didn't know about the custom sharpeners though, I use me pocketknife. As an aside, I did a unit at school on "mechanical drawing" , ie how to do sketches to aid making things, perspective drawing, use of engineering symbols and notation, drawing re-assembly sketches, marking out angles, circles, dividing same. Interesting, the very first exercise on page 1 was practising drawing (freehand) straight lines - which sounds easy until you try it, takes a while to get the precise muscles in your hand used to the concept....so, their still teaching the "old way" - I did it last year... Also did an "intro to Autocad" - wow, 25 commands to draw a straight line <g> - wont have enough years left to master it...
Andrew VK3BFA.