Perl Script to track UPS-Packages

I'm still trying to reach an uneasy truce with Sol10. And we've got, er, about 600 of the beasties to support, maybe more.

So a crontab entry to run crontab to check the crontab then. Yikes. I think I just b0rked by brane.

Annoying, that. I like using sed to edit things, I don't like to have to use svcadmin before and after but (shrug) whatever.

I know...just wanted to, er, express something or other.

Interesting. Must play with that tomorrow, learning new stuff every day. Which, 17 years into playing with Unix of one flavor of another, explains why I LOVE MY JOB. Even when (ahem) I have a DBA camping in my cube for the last week with something that turns out to not be my problem, like I said from the get-go. Ahem. Hi Gary.

That'd be my assumption, haven't tested it yet just having found Tetris.app and been somewhat distracted. It's really amazing to have a Unix box in my pocket, gotta say that. It even works for phone calls, oddly enough.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

:-) There are quite a few strange things that they have introduced -- along with some very *nice* things, like zfs (man zvf & zpool). A lot easier to use than the meta* way to do software RAID on the Suns.

:-)

I had c crontab path-to-file

and it copied it into the crontab (where it had been before), but now it admitted that it existed. :-)

Interestingly enough, I keep an account with the same UID and GID as root, but with a different shell by default, and when I try

crontab -l username

I get:

crontab: you must be super-user to access another user's crontab file

and if I su to root, I *still* get that. :-)

Well ... I've found that I can use crontab to disable a user's crontab by simply commenting out the active lines. Not sure whether you could set EDITOR to sed and use that, but it is worth a try.

[ ... ]

:-)

I must admit that the unix in a pocket is about the only reason that *I* would consider getting an iphone -- and it wouldn't even need to make phone calls. :-) I'm still using a B&W cell phone that just barely knows how to do texting -- and I don't even use it for that -- just for the occasional phone call. (And somehow, it seems to have gotten onto someone's list of fax numbers, so it tends to get several calls a month before I wake up -- no number in the caller ID, and only rarely have I been awake and out here where the phone lives in its charger when a call came in, which is how I know that they think that it is a fax.

Enjoy, DoN.

P.S. The newsgroup is pretty quiet for the moment, with everybody hiding from the sporge flood. :-)

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I have been re-reading crontab from crontab for quite a while now.

I also synchronize all configs (boot scripts, scripts, aliases, notes, etc etc) and keep them in CVS, to automatically commit and update all machines every night.

Ignoramus24409

We're still using ODS/Solaris Disk Suite on nearly everything, which meets our needs. But, our Unix High Guru is actively pursuing zfs and all things related. As the lead of the Unix run team, I look forward to it.

It's OK, happens all the time lately.

Good to know.

Hrrrrm, so it knows you're not the real UID 0? what if you type # id

OK, how about su - root

Easier to just load the vi binary on the iPhone. No escape key though. Hrrrrmf.

Gary left me alone all day, the biggest prod cluster in the biz did silly things and I got to deal with that. He was nice enough to recognize the relative importance.

Thing is, everything the darn thing does, it does _VERY_ well. Had it for a week, thought "You know, version 2.0 would be cool if they'd add live traffic conditions to the maps app", then went into the maps app, clicked on the little car icon (which I figured meant driving directions) and there it is, red/yellow/green traffic conditions. Talk about a killer feature that they completely don't advertise.

What sporge flood? Filters are your friend.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I like it.

[ ... ]

uid=0(name-that-I-use) gid=1(other)

Same output -- exactly. It remembers the (name-that-I-use) in place of root.

====================================================================== Users: Access to crontab is denied:

[ ... ]

o if BSM audit is enabled, the user's shell is not audited and the user is not the crontab owner. This can occur if the user logs in by way of a program, such as some versions of SSH, which does not set audit parame- ters. ======================================================================

As far as I know, I don't have BSM audit enabled -- but I *did* log in via ssh.

Logging out and back in suddenly brought crontab working properly again.

Is there a control key? How about a '['? Clumsy, but it does work.

Great!

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

*That* would be nice -- if I were still working and commuting.

There is a new one -- from

64.203.204.101.dyn-cm-pool-65.hargray.net

with no cross-posting this time, and I *think* injected to the news feed from: "!news.infoave.net!" (with the next entry to the right varying somewhat.)

I wonder why the specific attack on Rec.crafts.metalworking? It is not as big as the cross-posted attack on sci.crypt -- at least so far.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

(snip of general agreement and congeniality, which is rarely interesting going forward)

Meh...the genealogy groups I'm subscribed to were also threatened with same. Said splorgers (or wotever it's called this time) have been equally unimpressive there.

Reply to
Dave Hinz