pics for carbon steel thread-- king road drag

these are two pictures of the road drag that I made.

It is based on the split log drag invented by Mr. King back when most roads were dirt.

You can't quite see it, but there is a piece of .187 x 1.75 steel bar welded to the front edge. You can see the dirt scraped up by this bar on the right of the first picture. The bar is welded on so that it hangs about .500" below the bottom of the 5" channel iron.

The dirt that is scraped up flows to the center of the road and is smeared flat by the rest of the 5" channel, and the second 5" channel that follows.

Reply to
dan

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 00:04:57 GMT, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net (dan) scrawled the following:

Interesting. I'm guessing that the angle and weight help to keep it straight behind the single tow line?

-- Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. -- Charles Lindbergh

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What's that Lassie? You say that Larry Jaques fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Sun, 07 Jun 2009 18:15:35 -0700:

It will 'skate' to the side depending on the soil type. But that is self limiting as the angle changes as it skates out. A shorter tow line will make it self limit sooner.

In addition a shorter tow line will make the drag less aggressive. That is because as the tow point is above the ground (20in?)the front of the drag is lifted up as the load is increased.

The angle is also adjustable via the chain and grab link. More angle (up to 45deg) moves dirt to the center of the road, less angle is better for filling in 'potholes'.

The best action is after rain when the top of the road surface is damp.

Google "king road drag" or "split road drag" for more info.

Reply to
dan

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 03:33:50 GMT, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net (dan) scrawled the following:

I guess they needed grading tools way back then, huh?

Your road is in much better shape.