Please help identify a taper

Automotive steering arms, Tie rod ends, Idler and Pitman arms have pivot joints that are tapered. They appear to be Morse. Is that so? If not, what is it and where would I most easily obtain the reamers? Thanks in advance, Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

I don't know the taper specs, but special reamers for those parts are available. I'd check at a Napa or similar "real" auto parts store that services mechanics.

Paul T.

Reply to
Paul T.

". Unless you're building your own parts, why bother reaming?

A common upgrade in the old car hobby is the installation of modern steering boxes. Redoing the taper on the pitman arm is common. When I had mine done the local street rod shop retapered mine for $15 so that may be an option. Check with some of the steering box vendors in the street rod magazines. Flaming River would be one

lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

Common tapers in American steering and suspension parts are 1 inch per foot and 1.5 inches per foot. Google for Coleman Racing. I know they were selling reamers a few years ago and probably still do.

Richard Coke

Reply to
Richard Coke