Pneumatic rack and pinion drive

If you are interested, call me. You should have the number

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Green LED's?

Reply to
Steve Walker

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:13:43 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Gardner" quickly quoth:

I take it that that is an affirmative, Tawm?

I'm still working on the free stuff I got from him eons ago.

-- Deep doubts, deep wisdom; small doubts, little wisdom. --Chinese Proverb ----

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Interesting, a quick calc says I need 0.2 hp motor. Motor and clutch won't fit in the amount of room I have available...easily. But, there are many, many ways to skin a cat.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I will call! I can't use a lot of that stuff but pneumatics and linear stuff always comes in handy. I can't believe you aren't listing it all on eBay. For every ass, there's a seat.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The down side of free stuff is when you have to replace it, just TRY and find that model!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Damn Ned, you're a handy guy to know! Why can't I find these kind of things that would make my life easier?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

This is looking to be the best option. I talked to a couple of "Rotary Actuator" manufacturers and they both balked when I told them I needed

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 00:09:12 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Gardner" quickly quoth:

Yeah, I'm still trying to locate worm gears for the old Wilton 4x6 saur I got. I should get tires while I'm at it, and by then, I'll be up to the price of a new HF 4x6. Hmmm...

Neely Bearing wanted $8 and change for the new idler General (Chinese)

62022 bearing for the drill press, with retaining ring. Another local bearing place, Applied Industrial Technologies wanted $20 for an identical SKF bearing and no snap ring. I should probably press that together one of these days. I already had a spare LinkBelt for it. I dare say that even a Chinese bearing will likely outlast me.

OK, time for the Heller syllabus...

-- Deep doubts, deep wisdom; small doubts, little wisdom. --Chinese Proverb ----

Reply to
Larry Jaques

--Hiya; chiming in a little late here, but to see a good implementation of what you want to build you might head over to battlebots.com and check out a heavyweight called The Judge. Before it was dismembered by a spinbot it had a spiked arm on it that could punch holes in

1/4" steel plate. Heh.
Reply to
steamer

[ ... ]

O.K. First question: "saur" -- sort for "dinosaur" to indicate the age, or just a creative spelling of "saw"?

Second -- does the Wilton 4x6 actually *have* tires? The import one which I have from MSC has a cast iron wheel with a flange and a groove to clear the set of the 1/2" blade teeth -- no tire. I thought that all of the 4x6 saws were like this.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On 28 Jun 2008 03:27:44 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "DoN. Nichols" quickly quoth:

Hey, I got it from Gunner. It's a bit of both.

That's the way this is, but someone recently mentioned tires on a metalworking bandsaw and it got me thinking that maybe I was missing something. This thing's pretty clapped out and the local ACE hardware stores now have ShopFox 4x6ers in stock for $149, so...

-- Deep doubts, deep wisdom; small doubts, little wisdom. --Chinese Proverb ----

Reply to
Larry Jaques

[ ... ]

O.K. Good enough.

Hmm ... to put tires on it, you will need to totally re-turn the wheels -- get rid of the flange, and put in a groove for the root of the tires. And I don't know whether tires will work well with the design of the 4x6 -- toss in the sharp twist to the blades, and the short distance from the guides to the wheels, and I'm not sure what will happen.

The benefit of tires is the ability to use a wide range of blade widths, and to make them self centering on large wheels which can't be easily tilted. There are tires on my Emco three-wheeled saw (with fiberglass-reinforced plastic wheels), but the blade is not twisted like the 4x6 does, and the guides are less aggressive.

I would suggest keeping the flanged wheels for the 4x6 and just using it as a cutoff saw (it is pretty useless as a vertical saw -- not enough throat to allow much work guiding) and get something better with wheels for freehand sawing to shapes. That's what I do with the Emco three-wheeled one, which has three belt positions including one which gives a high enough speed to make sawing aluminum a lot better. But that is one tiny little belt -- some of these days it is bound to pop. I just don't have room for a proper floor-standing vertical. The

3-wheeler came from an eBay auction. Emco seems to have discontinued it.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On 29 Jun 2008 00:15:39 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "DoN. Nichols" quickly quoth:

Waaaay too much work. I thought they might have used very thin tires on the stepped wheel.

I'll likely eBay it to get a good downpayment on a new 4x6. I'm finding much less time to fiddle when I'm in the shop nowadays.

Besides, I like white tools, though Griz Green is also a fave color. The lighter the tools in my shop, the brighter the shop.

Now to go clean the shop out so I could possibly _work_ out there again some day soon...

-- Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques