Pressed-together crankshafts

Gasoline would stop the diesel oil freezing in extreme cold?

Lighting a fire under the engine - better only on a mechanical injector engine ? (not vulnerable to hot gases flowing over the engine) Not to be recommended in this time of engines festooned with electronics and electrics boxes?

-----------------------------------

AFAIK those deep-freeze weather fixes were for aircraft engines, I read of them in a fighter pilot's memoirs. The BF-109 gasoline engine had mechanical fuel injection.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Gasoline would stop the diesel oil freezing in extreme cold?

-----------------

In a dry-sump aero engine the oil resides in a separate tank instead of the crankcase.

When Diesel cars such as the Rabbit appeared in the US in the 70's cold northern areas had a problem with the wax component of the fuel condensing into a mush that clogged the small lines and filters. The quick fix was to dilute the fuel with gas or kerosine, until the refiners adjusted their process to reduce the high-boiling distillates. Maybe that was why outdoor trucks and locomotives idled all night?

isn't uncommon at night here.

Our Army trucks had Multifuel engines that would run on either Diesel or gasoline, without making any changes that I was told of. Mostly they used gas, which was very cheap without the high German tax. Our monthly ration of untaxed gas for personal vehicles was 200 liters except for small engined cars that received 100l, in practice only VW Beetles. But at the end of the month only Beetle owners had gas ration coupons left over.

Army life was practically pure communism in which they give you what you need, by their definition, and work you according to your abilities, again by their definition. Fortunately an army isn't required to be efficient or productive, only destructive.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Remember, he was talking about RUSSIAN equipment - generally rough as a cob low tech stuff - but yes, gasomine in the lubricating oil thins it when cold and boils out when the engine gets upto temperature. Has also been done on old aircraft engines.

The fire under the oil pan trick has also been used quite a bit - A guy I used to work with started his Corvair in cold weather by sticking a steel fence post wrapped with burlap and chicken wire into a barrel of used motor oiland kerosene, lighting it and shoving it under the back of the car beforeg oing in for breakfast after doing his morning farm chares. The engine was toasty warm and ready to go when he was ready to leave for work. The back of the butter yellow corvair looked like it belonged to a driveway sealing outfit - covered in "tar"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Vivid description - can see it in my mind's-eye.

Reply to
Richard Smith

Nice to see you guys, and I'm glad to see that the cross-posting trolls are at a low ebb. I hope it stays that way. Hasta la vista!

Reply to
Ed Huntress

We've gone backwards these days with consumer products. The goal seems is apparently weaken ever part until the product can just not fall apart during shipping. If that doesn't do the trick, bad firmware or other computer problems will do the trick.

I've been resurrecting a mid-late 1990s Amana washing machine. Most parts are still available, and if you're sneaky you can use coin-op machine maintenance kits which have most of the parts that can wear, at a much lower price than the part numbers in the "correct" exploded diagram.

Imported trash from samsung and LG can't even be fixed under warranty. I enjoy warning people to not buy imported appliances, and if they do, don't worry about it, you'll get another chance in about 3 years.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

The latest "american made" appliances are every bit as bad as the imported stuff and will MOST likely have a non-american name on it - like Bosch. Repairing them is just as hard since a lot of the parts still come from away. I tried to get a gear for a KitchenAid pedestal mixer a month or so back, and they said the wait could be 4 or 5 months. Thankfully a sib-assembly was available that contained the required part that I was able to locate - their parts department didn't have a CLUE that the assembly was available and that it contained the part I needed (and took about 20 minutes or more off the repair time). I guess that is why THAT part was still available - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The latest "american made" appliances are every bit as bad as the imported stuff and will MOST likely have a non-american name on it - like Bosch. Repairing them is just as hard since a lot of the parts still come from away. I tried to get a gear for a KitchenAid pedestal mixer a month or so back, and they said the wait could be 4 or 5 months. Thankfully a sib-assembly was available that contained the required part that I was able to locate - their parts department didn't have a CLUE that the assembly was available and that it contained the part I needed (and took about 20 minutes or more off the repair time). I guess that is why THAT part was still available - - -

---------------------

There's useful equipment in my shop from the 50's

The 1850's.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

What's an example of a bosch badged appliance made by say whirlpool that has impossible to get parts?

They had a parts department and you got the parts. Try that with a LG anything. It's not super uncommon for an entire assembly to be cheaper or more avialable than a single part in it. It's silly, but nothing too new.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Not what I said. Check where your Bosch dishwasher is made -- it aint der fatherland!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Pakistan? China? I'd never make the mistake of buying a bosch appliance.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

It's the only brand of dishwasher available in the USA that is BUILT IN THE USA. (at least that was true a year and ahalf ago)

Reply to
Clare Snyder